Jack Brennan practice set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lozq
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Jack Brennan practice set?

Post by Lozq »

Hi all,

I've been keeping my eyes open for a practice or half set of pipes for a while now, and having failed to find anything second hand have started looking at local (local = Australia) makers for a new set.

Jack Brennan https://www.jackspipes.com/pipes has quoted me a good price for a new practice set, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has seen/used his instruments.

Any feedback/suggestions are welcome, and if anyone in Australia has a decent practice set they don't need then please let me know!

Regards,

Loz
Tom_S

Re: Jack Brennan practice set?

Post by Tom_S »

I know Jack personally. He's got some sound clips of some of his recent chanters up on his website. His recent chanters are sounding really nice IMO. He's probably the most genuine person I've ever met.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Just an observation, for what it´s worth, learning about the mysteries of the Uilleann Beast from Craig Fischer would put anything by Jack Brennan at the forefront of my attention. I had only one occassion to play a chanter from Craig Fischer´s hands, and all these years later I marvel at the docility of it, and the depth tonality possible to drawn from it.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Lozq
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Post by Lozq »

These are both very encouraging responses - thanks very much.
Lozq

Post by Lozq »

Practice set ordered, I'll let everyone have a look when it arrives. Maybe even some horrendous audio if you're lucky!