The Northern Fiddler

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

The Northern Fiddler

Post by RLines »

Probably a bit of a long shot, but I’m hoping someone might have a copy of The Northern Fiddler they’d be interested in selling. Please DM me if so.

Many thanks
Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
Mr.Gumby

Re: The Northern Fiddler

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You will probably have seen the copy on ebay for €250 , which is silly money. Amazon has something similarly priced.

I have seen one or two copies offered at half decent prices in the past year or so but since the documentary demand is probably up.

For anyone else interested in the content, there's a pdf here.
My brain hurts

RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Thanks for the response. I've had a photocopied version in a ring binder for 20 years but would love a proper hard copy. They do come up occassionally as you say, but yes usually for stupid money. The hunt continues!

Cheers

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It was one of the first Irish collections that was priced (high) by the Amazon algorithm, that tends to get overall prices up, unfortunately. It's worth having.
My brain hurts

geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

We have a copy that we might part with. There is a wee tear on the front cover but otherwise in fine used condition.

Open to offers.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Open to offers.
You can put your name in it or an ex libris, add provenance and up the collector's value :P

I bought a few books at the Ennistimon bookfair a few years ago from a bookseller who had done a house clearance for Kevin Conneff of the Chieftains, including one book of Northern songs by Derek Bell, signed and dedicated to Conneff. He didn't charge extra, in fairness, and I got it for under a tenner. He did try to offload a large pile of Treoir magazines from the seventies and eighties from the same haul on me but I got away without them.

Seriously though, this sort of thing, previous owners leaving traces, provenance etc, does add a bit of personality, history, interest or whatever you want to call it to a book.

My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Another copy of The Northern Fiddler on ebay. Hardback library copy, starting at £100
My brain hurts