looking for a copy of A Manual for the Irish Uilleann Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Shawn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am just trying to update my profile. Add my location, I joined to get some help with the pipes, I figured i should let folks know where I live, maybe I'll luck out and there is someone near me that wouldn't mind helping me get started.

looking for a copy of A Manual for the Irish Uilleann Pipes

Post by Shawn »

Hi
I'm just starting out on Uilleann pipes, I have a O'Grady half set and a ton of questions, so I was hoping to find someone on here that has a copy of Patrick Sky's A Manual for the Irish Uilleann Pipes they would be willing to sell. Thanks.
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Re: looking for a copy of A Manual for the Irish Uilleann Pi

Post by stew »

Are you requiring a manual on learning how to play or to maintain the pipes? as there are a couple of other tutor manuals on playing the Uilleann pipes you can purchase, also finger charts of the chanter, maybe look out for a local pipers club or piper that might can help you out?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a copy that I bought back in the 1980s.

I don't know what the value might be.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Patricksky.com is still listing the Manual at $24 + $7 shipping. Don't know how current the site is but it might be worth checking directly.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Pat has been ill.

If you can’t get a copy of his book, Dave Hegarty’s book on reed making is excellent. It’s available from NPU (pipers.ie).
PJ
Shawn
Tell us something.: I am just trying to update my profile. Add my location, I joined to get some help with the pipes, I figured i should let folks know where I live, maybe I'll luck out and there is someone near me that wouldn't mind helping me get started.

Post by Shawn »

Thanks. I am looking for a general manual on the pipes. I have the NPU tutors, but was hoping to find something that had some more I guess technical info, like tuning a reed, maintenance of the pipes, etc. It seemed from what I had heard that Pat's book was the closest thing to that.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

There are a number of booklets available online for free, dealing with these topics.

Patrick Sky's site has one on chanter reed adjustment in pdf and MS Word formats, downloadable from the main page: https://www.patricksky.com/
And Eoin O Riabhaigh's site has a few free booklets in MS Word (from Dave Hegarty), including one on general preventative maintenance: https://www.eoinoriabhaigh.com/maintenance
There is also Eddie Climo's (South Western Association of Uilleann Pipers) "A Handbook for Uilleann Pipers" as a pdf, now only accessible through archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20040703095 ... normal.pdf
graeme
Tell us something.: I want to know more about the available makes and makers of Irish pipes, highland pipes and whistles, which instruments good players are playing and recommendations about reeds.

Post by graeme »

Shawn wrote:Hi
I'm just starting out on Uilleann pipes, I have a O'Grady half set and a ton of questions, so I was hoping to find someone on here that has a copy of Patrick Sky's A Manual for the Irish Uilleann Pipes they would be willing to sell. Thanks.
Try Na Piobairi Ulleann at https://pipers.ie/
Philly The Piper
Tell us something.: I am a highland piper and an uilleann piper. I am nearing retirement and I want to get in touch with other players. No particular goals in mind. I might try to get to a few festivals and finally learn some technique. I make my own reeds but they never sound in tune so some help there would be great.

Post by Philly The Piper »

Yeah, NPU have a ton of stuff and you do not have to be a member to see it online. But I am sure they'd like to have you join. :wink: