Multi-drone options for D set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Wich config do you prefer?

1. 4 drones. Be serious, man, this is enough.
80%
2. 5 drones, you only live once, go for this!
20%

Total votes: 5

Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Multi-drone options for D set

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Hi all,

What do you think of a D set with Kannmacher multi-drone system (I´m considering 2 options):

4 drones: D/G - d - d´/e´ - g/a/b

5 drones: D/G - d - d´/e´ - A/B - g/a/b

Both are based in Kannmacher own modified sets, Nate Banton 5 drones borderpipes and Padraig McGovern´s set made by Victor Mullally. Drones are arranged in 2 groups controlled by the same switch: the first for D/G - d - d´/e´ and the second for extra drone(s). Switch offers 4 positions: All OFF, All ON, group 1 and group 2.
Bass drone has a small switch to open a G hole. The other extra notes for drones are achieved by plugs or slides.

I see a lot of usable and nice drone chords. What do you think? Would you change something? Why? Thanks!
Bellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Multi-drone options for D set

Post by Bellows »

If you reckon you are capable of maintaining the set correctly and tuning and adjusting the reeds properly, on a regular basis, then go for 5. If you have never played drones before then the obvious answer would have to be * option 3 - learn to play a normal, steady, half-set first.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Multi-drone options for D set

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm not familiar with those uilleann setups, but I used to play NSP, where they switch the drone tuning to match the tune they're playing.

There's always three drones, playing the fundamental, the 5th, and the octave of the fundamental, so DAd for tunes in D.

Of course uilleann pipers play tunes in E minor over D drones all the time, but in Northumbrian piping you adjust the drones to play EBe for tunes in E minor.

Personally doing that doesn't seem to fit the Irish tradition of having the D drones regardless what key the tune is in.

I suppose personally what might be cool is a separate Baritone drone capable of playing either A or G, which could be shut off when you don't want it.

About the tuning and adjusting, at least with the NSP I had that wasn't an issue, because the drones had metal reeds which always stayed in tune, never needed adjusting. For the different notes you would open an extra hole on the side, which always was in perfect tune.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle