Last Post

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PeterF
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started playing the pipes 15 years ago, at that time I started making reeds. I found almost everything I needed in the Dave Hegarty book.

Last Post

Post by PeterF »

Anyone tried the Last Post on the Uilleann Pipes? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by PeterF on Sat May 09, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Last Post

Post by benhall.1 »

GDPR does not require us to delete your account. And, in fact, we never do. We can deactivate it if you want, but your posts will remain.

[EDIT - Mod] In case I ever forget, note that the original post, before being amended, requested a deletion of account.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

For one of the strangest contributors to the forum for a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McCDWYgVyps

RORY

PS While searching for last post on Uilleann pipes with no luck, I found this which was indeed a change of luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytHD0Gt7vQ

PPS not only strange but sneaky too.
I'm Spartacus .
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

A while back there was a funeral here, the deceased had requested Taps to be played...by three bagpipers.

We did it, the gig went well.

Obviously bugle tunes are straightforward things to play on pipes, on Highland pipes

LA D F# HA

on uilleann pipes they would be

D G B d (or) A d f# a

The strangest thing was when, years ago, I got a call from a woman wanting a bagpiper for her wedding.

She said "and I know the tunes I want you to play..." and she proceeded to list all the standard trumpet pieces that people hire trumpet players for, for weddings.

Then ensued a strange conversation, as I tried to convince her that if she wanted trumpet music she should hire a trumpet player, but if she wanted bagpipe music then I'm her man.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
omarapiping

Post by omarapiping »

I turned up to funeral, was introduced to the partner of the deceased, “ah ok, the shakuhachi player”....

Fortunately enough, they had booked both UPs and the shakuhachi.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

pancelticpiper wrote: The strangest thing was when, years ago, I got a call from a woman wanting a bagpiper for her wedding.

She said "and I know the tunes I want you to play..." and she proceeded to list all the standard trumpet pieces that people hire trumpet players for, for weddings.

Then ensued a strange conversation, as I tried to convince her that if she wanted trumpet music she should hire a trumpet player, but if she wanted bagpipe music then I'm her man.
Well, looking over Purcell's "Trumpet Voluntary", it's doable (perhaps not recommendable). The range fits the pipes, it's in D major, we'd just need to get with Padraig McGovern to work out the accompaniment on the regs. :P

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, looking over Purcell's "Trumpet Voluntary", it's doable (perhaps not recommendable). The range fits the pipes, it's in D major, we'd just need to get with Padraig McGovern to work out the accompaniment on the regs. :P
I don't know about the last bit, Mr Wooff used to do a nifty enough version long ago. A good starting point, perhaps. I may even have a tape of it somewhere.

Quite way for a thread to travel from a poster throwing a temper tantrum because he felt his posts didn't get the attention he thought they deserved and asking the mods to permanently sign him out, making the OP his last post, as per the heading. Rory wasn't wrong with the strange and sneaky to boot assessment, after the OP changed his last post completely.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:the OP changed his last post completely.
I'd have preserved the original if I'd known.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

A shame really, up to the point where his impatience with the pace of the forum got the better of him, he was offering good advice on some of the topics.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

rorybbellows wrote:A shame really, up to the point where his impatience with the pace of the forum got the better of him, he was offering good advice on some of the topics.
If he had looked at the forum it would have been clear it isn't particularly responsive nowadays. And it doesn't award 'likes'. With a bit of patience and perhaps keeping an open mind to what this forum is and how it behaves, he could have settled in nicely.
My brain hurts

john

Post by john »

Peter F's account is still active. Hopefully he'll hang around and continue to contribute, and benefit, from the forum.