Goretex Bag

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Rhaco
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi all. I'm a GHB piper looking to branch into uilleann this year and this seemed like a good source of information.

Goretex Bag

Post by Rhaco »

Hey all,

I'm a GHB player who is going to be officially starting with uilleann this summer and I had a question about bags.

For my money a pure synthetic bag (on GHB) is almost unplayable. I hate striking in with the things, find them uncomfortable any time I am trying an overblow or on my cutouts. Are uilleann goretex bags as annoying?

I know some people like them, they sell tons of them, but most GHB players I know don't think very much of them, the term I hear bandied about quite often is "beach ball." I play a hide/synthetic, and in my opinion it's the best of both worlds. Low maintenance and a satisfying feel.

The practice sets I've been looking at have largely been fitted with goretex bags. I just want to know if I'll be trashing that on day 2, or if the difference in how the two pipes are played makes them tolerable or even preferable in some way (outside no maintenance).

Thanks
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Goretex Bag

Post by An Draighean »

A good leather bag works so well that I would never be tempted to try a synthetic bag of any variety. YMMV.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Curiously, Paddy Keenan plays with synthetic bags. He was converted when he tried a homemade naugahyde bag. His preferance is based on the ability to roll the bag into a very small space, and its lightness. He also prefers a bass regulator that can be removed from the stock. His sets generally break down to quite a compact set. His cases are smaller than average to aid carrying about. If you will allow the pun. ´He is a Travelling Man´ :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Leather is by far the most common material for uilleann bags. The majority of professionally made bags don’t require seasoning.
PJ
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

I play GHP as well (Bannatyne Hybrid) and curious about which makers you're talking to who are supplying synthetic bags as standard. Though I'm sure there are some and I may be out in left field here, but I don't know of any "quality" makers who'd supply anything other than a leather bag.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I am not sure where the idea of any maker supplying a synthetic bag as ´standard´ has been found in this discussion. Some pipers have expressed a preference for synthetics, Some despise ´em. One thing for certain, bags and bellows get a lot of wear, and are easily swapped out. . .at the owner´s choice.
I detested the neoprene bag I got supplied as ´standard´ by Kevin Thompson. To add insult to injury, the air pollution here in the ´States, which apparently is much higher than Malahide, soon caused it to fail. That problem was soon solved by my learning to saddle stitch a carefully chosen black-smith side into a custom bag that well and faithfully served me over twenty years. I love my leather Kelleher replacement. Niall and Daniela supply brilliant work.
However, I certainly am not a touring piper. Paddy, is, and expressed his desire for portability over the bulk of leather. As with all things, YMMV.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Hmm, I could definitely be wrong here, but the naugahyde bags I've seen are not lighter or more compact than leather.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Bannatyne make goretex uilleann pipe bags. £50 plus tax for the basic bag, £70 plus tax for the one with a zipper.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
razzmaster

Post by razzmaster »

Rhaco wrote: The practice sets I've been looking at have largely been fitted with goretex bags.
Where are you looking???
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Rhaco wrote:Hey all,

For my money a pure synthetic bag (on GHB) is almost unplayable. I hate striking in with the things, find them uncomfortable any time I am trying an overblow or on my cutouts. Are uilleann goretex bags as annoying?
Whatever you decide on the most important
thing that a up bag needs to do besides not leak
is to hold the chanter upright on the knee when inflated
so that the fingers are free to move without supporting
the chanter. With a scotch pipe bag the chanter is
hanging down supported by the neck. As far as leather
is concerned 4 to 5 ounce leather is the ticket.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa