Stuck Sleeves

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Madpiper13
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Stuck Sleeves

Post by Madpiper13 »

My drone main stock sleeve, and valve sleeve (Both sleeves that are tied into the bag) are currently stuck, and can't be removed with hand pressure. It looks like each have had Teflon tape applied underneath (its sticking out the end). What are next methods for freeing these, that won't cause any damage?
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Re: Stuck Sleeves

Post by Seamie »

The stock has expanded with warmer/damper air. You need to get that lumber into a cooler/drier space so it can shrink down a bit.
Once you get the stock out- get that plumbers’ tape off there, and re-hemp the stock. The “ Goldilocks” method: not too snug or not too loose..... you don’t want to jam the stock in, but you also don’t want the drones shooting out of the bag like a rocket. (done that)
Don’t use plumbers’ tape! Yellow unwaxed pipers’ hemp (unless you’re a Rogge man- then its Red Thread, Red Thread...s)
Kuddel
Tell us something.: Living near hannover lower saxony germany and try to play pipes selfteached since 1980, now mainly on a flat set by Andreas

Re: Stuck Sleeves

Post by Kuddel »

hi
years ago i must take the hard way, cause i used to much yellow hemp ;-) with my Rogge stock....
i put Stock and Bag with this brass ring/fitting (whats the correct name for it?) without Drones/Regs and Reeds !!! into a refrigerator/icebox for a few hours to cool it down, then warm up
only the brass ring with a hairdryer...
it works fine, but its not the method for everyone, be careful

cheers Kuddel