It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Uilleann Chanter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:58 pm 

I’m currently waiting on a new concert chanter, it’s based off Dave Williams & and the timber will be boxwood. I’ve been playing a Rowsome/Froment copy the last couple of years in ebony, it’s actually based on Mick O’Brien’s chanter. Should I expect a massive difference in tone & feel with the new chanter?

Post subject: Re: Uilleann Chanter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:01 am 

Quote:
Should I expect a massive difference in tone & feel with the new chanter? CrushHarrington

I doubt there will be a massive difference. Dave Williams' chanters were initially based on a Rowsome chanter's measurements, as far as I know, as were Froment's. Dave Williams developed/changed/improved the bore design of his concert pitch D chanters over the years. I have Williams' chanters from 1979 to 2004.The Williams chanter from 1979 is shorter than the chanters from 1994 and 2004. They are all excellent chanters and feel much the same to me.

Who is making your new chanter based on a Williams chanter? Is it Donnacha Dwyer, David Lim, Brian Bigley, or Marcus Coulter?

I think as regards tone, your reed is set up will be the most important factor, rather than the choice of timber used.

Is your current chanter by Froment, or is it a Rowsome/Froment copy by another maker?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:36 am 

Hendrik Morgenbrodt is making the new chanter. My current chanter is by the late Victor Mullally.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am 

Henrik's pipes look and sound good. http://www.morgenbrodt-pipes.de/index.p ... eann-pipes