lullaby

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
frty2324
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a french guy, who like a uillean pipe music, my father play uillean pipe music every sunday at pub

lullaby

Post by frty2324 »

Hello,
My father is a uilleann pipes player and he will soon be a grandfather. I would like to announce it to him by bringing him a sheet music of lullaby for uillean pipes.

But it is not easy to find.

Anyone have this in stock?

I see him in one weeks.

Thank you

Nb
I thought of the title "dragon's lullaby" also known as "outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes" but impossible to find the scores.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: lullaby

Post by An Draighean »

Deartháir don phaidir an port.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Welcome frty2324. Assuming you are looking for traditional music, O'Neill's classic collection "Music of Ireland" has two compositions specifically named as lullabies.
The book is freely available as a pdf through the Petrucci Music Library: https://imslp.org/wiki/Music_of_Ireland ... C_Francis)
"A Lullaby," #233 on page 40 of the book (the 52nd page of the pdf)
"An Irish Lullaby" (Suantraidhe Eirinneach), #346 on page 60 of the book (the 72nd page of the pdf)

Perhaps you could print one of these pages out on a nicer linen paper or something like that, and frame it.

And just to clear something up about the "Outlawed tunes..." and "Dragon's Lullaby" that you mention... certain individuals in Youtube comments have been spreading the strange notion that the "Outlawed tunes..." composition from the "Braveheart" soundtrack is actually an ancient traditional Scottish bagpipe melody originally called "Dragon's Lullaby." That's simply not true. "Outlawed tunes..." was composed by James Horner for the movie.
There is another, more obscure, composition known as "Dragon's Lullaby," but it is not traditional either. It's also modern movie music, from a 1994 direct-to-video film called "Dragonworld." In typical Hollywood fashion, a couple of scenes depict a character playing this piece on Great Highland Pipes, while the sound heard is actually that of the Uilleann pipes.
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

If it comes to uilleann pipe lullabies I always liked Leo Rowsome's version of "The Castle of Dromore"
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I’ve been playing Seothín Seó for some years. I scored it up and it’s in one of the An Piobaire issues from a few years ago. Sorry I’m not sure which one. Maybe a search on pipers.ie will produce something.

https://youtu.be/i4l-ljyVqfw
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

tommykleen wrote:I’ve been playing Seothín Seó for some years. I scored it up and it’s in one of the An Piobaire issues from a few years ago. Sorry I’m not sure which one. Maybe a search on pipers.ie will produce something.

https://youtu.be/i4l-ljyVqfw
Impressive regulator playing! :o
I just found your arrangement, in the April 2017 edition, pages 16 and 17 (spread across the 11th page of the pdf file):
The main page for April 2017 edition
Direct link to the pdf

There's also James Whiteside's "Lullaby For Irish Pipes" in the February 2015 edition, page 19 (on the 10th page of the pdf file):
The main page for Feb 2015 edition
Direct link to the pdf
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

There is a tune in one of the O’Neill books called The Old Man Rocking the Cradle.
It’s an (air / jig) descriptive piece in which the piper or fiddler tries to imitate the crying of a baby before the rocking bit.
It would be ideal for your purposes.
Somewhere I have it in abc but would look nice printed from it’s source in a frame to ‘announce’ if that’s the intention here.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

http://www.capeirish.com/webabc/working ... 3old_m.pdf

Here is a printable score that might work for you.
As long as your father in law won’t be offended by being the “Old Man”

Good Luck
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

The "Suantraidhe Eirinneach" lullaby in O'Neill's was composed by James O'Neill, and it is quite nice on the pipes. If you play it in G it goes up to the top B, which is kind of annoying for a lullaby, but if you play it in D you have to fiddle with the ending, but it sounds lovely with the drones. Take your pick.
IIRC Chris Norman recorded it on a Bb flute.
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

If it hasn't been posted, this is a really sweet tune, played slowly.

https://thesession.org/tunes/18697

Video link is included...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYskj9BPlEo
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.