uilleann pipe bellows leaking

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
psychih
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

uilleann pipe bellows leaking

Post by psychih »

hi everyone seeking some advice here - i'm new to the pipes and used a borrowed set before. now i have my own, a david daye, but the bellows are leaking. i found out where it was - it's coming out at the seams where the leather is glued onto the wood (i blew some vape into it to see where the smoke came out from). does anyone know how i can tighten this seal? it's really annoying as i can't hold any air. i could play some tunes on the borrowed set before, but not this one. the bag itself isn't leaking, neither is the connector hose.

is it feasible to repair my own bellows?
if i get a new one, is the fit universal to all pipes?

thank you.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: uilleann pipe bellows leaking

Post by PJ »

Repair is possible. How big is the leak? Ideally, you should glue it from the inside, and them maybe add extra tacks. If you could provide photos/video of the leak, that would help figure out what can be done.

If gluing the leak doesn't work, the next option is to remove the gusset entirely, remove all traces of glue from the gusset and from the bellows paddles, and then reglue and tack the entire gusset again.

Bellows/bag connections are not necessarily one size, if you have to get a new bellows, you might have some plumbing to do.
PJ
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

Is this new from David? Send it back if it is. Even if it isn't get in contact with him.

Also, the bellows from other makers can be used with other sets. I highly recommend getting a set from https://www.kellehertrad.com/:
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

elbowmusic wrote:Is this new from David? Send it back if it is. Even if it isn't get in contact with him.
Quite right.
PJ
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

At one time, David was using a Marine Sealant to glue his bellows. Something like 3M 5200, which is wicked strong and flexible.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
psychih

Post by psychih »

Hi all - no it's not new from David, it's second hand - bought from someone here on the Chiffboard. I just placed an order yesterday from Kellertrad for a set of the most basic bellows. I thought it mightn't be a bad idea as the screws from the original bellows that hold the padding on were.

When I have time I'll tack-le the gusset removal and see if I can repair this as a spare set.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Kelleher. Niall was a delight to deal with. I have been completely satisfied with any kit I have got from Kelleher.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi