Long pipes case

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TheSilverSpear
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Long pipes case

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Looking for a pipes case that's long enough to hold a Bb set without dismantling the bass reg (with the sticky out bar, not the curly one). I would really rather not be arsed with the faff of taking everything apart all the time. I haven't measured the set but probably around 4ft or so.

Any ideas?
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Long pipes case

Post by An Draighean »

Rifle case? 4' is pretty long.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Have a look at http://www.berwall.de

If you have difficulties getting the English version of their site, Google Berwall cases and it should come up. They offer a very good mail order service.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here is the English language version of their catalogue (you click the American flag to get there).

I have one of their cases, does the job, took only a day or two to arrive by courier at the time although you may want to sort it before you drop out of the single market. The height of their long cases (12cm) seems a bit tight, you probably want/need 15cm but you don't want a case that length to become too bulky either. I'd go for as compact as possible myself (mine is close to this for a 3/4 D set) but that's another story.

You may be able to get away with something like this but I wouldn't fancy gun cases myself. And it weighs nearly 8k g before you even put anything in it. Taking a few bits off a set is a small price to pay if it helps you avoid dragging big, heavy loads around.
My brain hurts

Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

Mine is from the Consort Case Co. Kilkenny. It's a gun case with egg shell foam. Indestructible (I know- I backed over it with my car.....putz)
I think they actually call it an uilleann pipe case now.
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I don't plan on backing the car over it, or carrying it very far for that matter (it's in Bb flat -- where are you going to play it other than the rare solo gig?). But I think taking the reed in and out of the bass reg is one of those things likely to go wrong some day, so something long enough to not entail deconstucting it would be ideal.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Perhaps try your local equivalent of 'DoneDeal' (gumtree, feeads, or whatever you have over there) and look at second hand electric guitar cases : this type of thing would set you back £70-80 second hand.
My brain hurts

TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I found a rifle case in the local fishing/hunting shop and the set fits, although the padding needs modification. It only set me back £60 but I felt a bit awkward and self-conscious buying a gun case -- "Er...it's for a musical instrument..." I'll have to cover it with bumper stickers. It'll do for now. I don't anticipate the pipes going on that many adventures.

I use a fishing rod case for the concert pitch set -- one of those Fishpond things that's been mentioned here a couple times -- and the company makes a longer one, but they don't sell those in the UK.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

TheSilverSpear wrote:I found a rifle case in the local fishing/hunting shop and the set fits, although the padding needs modification. It only set me back £60 but I felt a bit awkward and self-conscious buying a gun case -- "Er...it's for a musical instrument..." I'll have to cover it with bumper stickers. It'll do for now. I don't anticipate the pipes going on that many adventures.

I use a fishing rod case for the concert pitch set -- one of those Fishpond things that's been mentioned here a couple times -- and the company makes a longer one, but they don't sell those in the UK.

You just need to put a sticker on it that says "Thoughts and Prayers". That way, everyone will hate you. :D
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar