Different keyed chanters on different keyed drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pipezilla
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Different keyed chanters on different keyed drones

Post by Pipezilla »

This is probably a stupid question but if someone has drones in the key of C, what adjustments would be need to be made to play a C# chanter on that set? Is it as simple as tuning the pins up?
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: Different keyed chanters on different keyed drones

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Tim Britton has some comments on converting a D set of drones and regulators into a flat set, at the bottom of this page: http://www.skep.com/britton/pipes.htm
He says, "This is done with small adjustments to, or replacement, of the reeds, along with adjustments to the tuning slides."
It seems that the same idea should work in reverse.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Different keyed chanters on different keyed drones

Post by PJ »

Tuning up a half tone (C to C#) should be feasible without losing too much stability (warbling, reed closing too easily, etc.).

Obviously, you'll have to shorten all three drone slides, and you may have to adjust (upwards) the bridles on the three drone reeds. You may lose stability when you adjust the bridles, and you might even cause a drone to jump to the next harmonic, so only move the bridle a hair's breadth each time.

Don't know what you are referring to when you mention tuning pins. Drones don't have tuning pins (regulators have them).
PJ