Opening of bellows clappers?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glasba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Opening of bellows clappers?

Post by glasba »

Can someone explain what is the point of bellows which can open to 24 cm between clappers in comparison to one which opens to 14,5 cm, since it is a big difference. Both of these are Uilleann pipes bellows (made by 2 of the great makers) and I can only get one. It seems to me that there is no point for 24 cm, since the hand comes into unnatural position and angle too far from body and probably in playing I will never use all the span. Any thoughts?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Opening of bellows clappers?

Post by PJ »

The 24 cm bellows might be useful if you play two sets at the same time. :x
PJ
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

It’s gusset size that makes the difference and the amount that the paddles open is a concomitant feature of that. In other words, if you open both of these bellows to the same degree, say 14.5 cm, the one that can open more (the one that can open to 24 cm) will still have more area inside it created by the larger piece of leather sticking out (and filling up) between the paddles. This would result in a greater volume of air.
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

Thanks for answer.
Ceann Cromtha wrote:This would result in a greater volume of air.
I do understand this. What I wanted to know is will I ever need to go past that 14,5 cm of opening the bellows since the angle of hand would come in uncomfortable position. Thanks
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I’m sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes, I don’t think you’d ever be opening it up to that degree unless you are a very large person. Good luck with your choice!
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Ceann Cromtha has hit the point - even if you don't open the bellows to full degree, the one that can open to 24 cm will still move more air when opened 14.5 cm, than the smaller one when fully opened.
I am a short person, my own bellows can open up to 25 cm, and while I rarely open it completely, I frequently open it almost completely - whenever my bottom hand is at relative ease.
Also, the place where the arm strap is attached defines to a great extent how much elbow movement is required to open the bellows and therefore, whether or not your hand comes into an uncomfortable position - on my bellows, I moved the position of the arm strap twice before I found the sweet spot. And - neglected by many - a loose waist strap will make you lose much efficiency of the bellows.
Last but not least, the shape of the gusset as well as the clappers can make much more difference in efficiency than the actual size, I have seen and tried many small but well-designed bellows that moved more air than some big, bulky but inefficent ones.