Set Dance Information Request

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Set Dance Information Request

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Does anyone know anything about the set dance entitled:

“Aréir As Mé Ag Machdnamh Air Bheartaibh An T-Saoghail, B’fhearr Leigean Dóibh,” which, according to my friend who knows Irish Gaelic, means something like: “I was out last night imagining an lifetime opportunity, best left to them.” It is the first track on Éanna Ó Cróinín’s fantastic album, Ceol Ársa na bPíob (paired up with “The Wounded Hussar”).

Thanks!
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Set Dance Information Request

Post by myles »

It's a Goodman manuscripts tune - volume 1. Should be on thr ITMA website
myles

Post by myles »

Yes, it's on p.76 of volume 1 of Goodman's manuscript (http://goodman.itma.ie/volume-one) - a tune collected from Thomas Kennedy.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The pages don't quite line up as well with the numbering as you'd hope. You'll have to click on page 80 in the index to get page 76 of the Ms.

It's nr 151, p65 TotMP vol1

As an aside, does anyone know a source for The Weary Lad? Heard it played by Caoimhin O'Fearghail, Edel Fox, Neil Byrne and Seán O Fearghail earlier this week and it's been earworming me since. Learned it earler today but don't know where it came from. Related to, and sharing a last part with, The Gold Ring. Expected to find it in Goodman or similar but so far drawing a blank (although I didn't look very extensively, to be honest).

[add:] after saying that it occurred to me to look under 'buachaill' and found an Buachaill Breóite' in Goodman vol1 (227), which can be taken as a 4/4 variant of the tune I heard, more or less. Let's say done the 'piece way'. Not quite the jig I was hoping to find though.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thank you both so much. I love this album so much, it's pretty much been on constant rotation since I got it right after it came out. Among other things, it just seems like he Mr. O Cronin is just having so much fun while playing. It's infectious!
myles

Post by myles »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
As an aside, does anyone know a source for The Weary Lad? Heard it played by Caoimhin O'Fearghail, Edel Fox, Neil Byrne and Seán O Fearghail earlier this week and it's been earworming me since. Learned it earler today but don't know where it came from. Related to, and sharing a last part with, The Gold Ring
A Paddy Conneely tune I think - see http://pipers.ie/source/media/?mediaId=26873
Last edited by myles on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

myles wrote:
A Paddy Conneely tune I think
Good call. It's on 'Take me Tender' (the Wearied Lad), which probably explains why it stuck so easily, it had soaked in years ago.
My brain hurts

myles

Post by myles »

I was sure I'd heard it on the NPU website - just tracked it down (see link above). Nice little tune, so many out there to learn!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

so many out there to learn
I go wholly with serendipity these days. If I hear something and it sticks, I'll play it. If it resists, it's probably not ready and I'll let it be. More often than not, I find I have been hearing a new tune for years without really noticing, and then it suddenly sticks. A tune tends to find you once it's soaked in, absorbed and ready to go.
My brain hurts

bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Speaking of earworms, does anyone have a name for the first tune Cormac plays in this clip?
https://youtu.be/hS-1NceLm3Y
I have been spreading it around New England in an effort to share the earworm agony. Fabulous tune.
Pazziato

Post by Pazziato »

I go wholly with serendipity these days. If I hear something and it sticks, I'll play it. If it resists, it's probably not ready and I'll let it be. More often than not, I find I have been hearing a new tune for years without really noticing, and then it suddenly sticks. A tune tends to find you once it's soaked in, absorbed and ready to go.
I have been so overwhelmed at work and with kids that I haven't picked up the pipes for far too long. I keep saying when X happens or Y happens I'll jump back in. But then when X or Y happens something else fills the gap in time and energy, and I create new goal posts for making time to practice and play.

Reading Peter's comment (quoted above) has served as a reminder of how I enjoy learning new tunes and playing old favorites... and I'm literally going to pull out the D set tonight and tune the sonuvabitch (egad the regulator reeds will need work) and get after it. Thank you for that Peter.
Nilihism is best left to the Professionals.