E note in regs: Choose your option

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

E note for regs

1. E key in baritone reg
33%
2. Fourth reg beside bass regulator
25%
3. Fourth reg beside tenor regulator
8%
4. Other
33%

Total votes: 12

Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

E note in regs: Choose your option

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Hi, just making my mind and considering the different options there. I know that option 1 is used by Padraig McGovern, but 2 and 3 offer more chords (and easier to achieve, but also are more expensive haha). I´ve been told by the man himself that a fourth reg beside the bass regulator makes difficult playing the tenor keys (that reason made him choose the E key in the baritone), so that is why I consider the third option...

What do you think? Thank you!
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: E note in regs: Choose your option

Post by geoff wooff »

Another option I have seen on an old Egan set is to make a longer Tenor regulator and add an E key below the F# . It gets in the way of nothing but is it useful in this position ?

I have twice made inboard regulators including an E key:

One has a long E key that can be corded with C,B,A, and G of the normal Tenor regulator.... it is detachable when not needed.

The other was an octave below the Baritone regulator and had the notes ( starting from the stock end) E,G,F# and D.
Juan Pablo Plata

Thanks, Geoff, it would be really nice to see those sets! I´m think that if you extend the tenor you can´t play chords with the other tenor keys, then! Dicky Deegan had the extended bass reg, instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p07PCVD8UoA

I know there are more options and experiments through pipemaking history: http://3.248.59.149/Data/IRIS/02204_2003autumn.pdf

Tom Kannmacher has tried several of them (he wrote a very interesting article in Piper´s Review:
http://3.248.59.149/Data/IRIS/02301_2004winter.pdf
Also here: https://www.kannmachmusik.de/english/th ... ann-pipes/

But I think that the three above are the most easier and reliable when it comes to make and play, especially the option n. 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cHDLzdy58I

This is a fascinating topic and I´d really like to hear different opinions! :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I chose "other" because what I did was to have an E reg made, that I swapped for the Tenor reg.

I was mostly using the Bass and Bari regs anyway, strange I know, mostly for airs, and mostly fingered rather than with the heel of the hand.

But I wanted that E note!

What that setup gave me was a scale in G of an octave and a note: G A B C D E F# G A.

I liked playing melody on the regs, which this allowed.

And it entailed no modification to the pipes. When I sold the set the buyer put the Tenor reg back in.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Well Juan Pablo,

The E on the Tenor of the Egan set would complete the run of notes at suggested by Pancelticpiper, for finger playing.

Dicky's extended bass only has a low D key but I have made a couple of these with three keys F#, E and D.... but again they are only practical as fingered notes.

Another option is to extend the Bass regulator keys upwards. I added a D key above the C of the bass regulator and It would not be impossible to add an E above that. I'm sure I have seen at least one very elaborate old set with keys going up the cover tube of the bass.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think I have a photo of one set with a key up the brass bass cover, I just don't know which one it is.

Meanwhile I do have a copy of a pic in a book, the Ferguson-Egan set. Not sure which key does what but the alignment with the C of one of the keys may or may not suggest an E.

My brain hurts

RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

I'm quite fond of my contrabass reg, which is F# E D.
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Another option is to extend the bass reg reed seat that will bring the low G down to E. Of course, it changes the pitches of the other notes on that reg. This only works with a wrap-around reg bar.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
LukesPipes
Tell us something.: I like all things old and good and enjoy listening to the playing of flat sets in solo settings. Most of the times I play a set in B, which I call "la signora" ("the lady"). There are rare occasions when I also play the "signorina", the louder, more lively and emotionally less stable concert pitch set.

Post by LukesPipes »

Thanks for the link to the Kannmacher article; it is very, very interesting.

I don't know if any or you are aware of it but Andreas Rogge and his team recently managed to integrate an E regulator into the main stock - it sits right between the baritone and bass reg. It has a long key in wave-like shape so that the "E" key is not hit by accident if the player wants to play other chords.

Andreas has two pictures of the set on his fb page, I don't know if it is ok if I grab them and share them here.

I understand you want to add an E reg or similar to your flat set?
- B is the key -
Juan Pablo Plata

LukesPipes wrote:Thanks for the link to the Kannmacher article; it is very, very interesting.

I don't know if any or you are aware of it but Andreas Rogge and his team recently managed to integrate an E regulator into the main stock - it sits right between the baritone and bass reg. It has a long key in wave-like shape so that the "E" key is not hit by accident if the player wants to play other chords.

Andreas has two pictures of the set on his fb page, I don't know if it is ok if I grab them and share them here.

I understand you want to add an E reg or similar to your flat set?

Yes, I know of that "wave" regulator, but seems a bit pricier than options 1/2/3 haha.

Not for the flat set, but a new D one (just making my mind, for now, considering some sort of narrower bore).
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Another option, which DMQ realized for me both in my flat set, and on a new baritone reg for my D set, is to have the D key have two positions: played with normal (de-)pression you get a D; push it a little harder and it opens an E key on the underside of the reg.
See if this link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 404&type=3
You can see the linking rod under the D key.
I asked for this in order to be able to play the E-G chord against the C natural on the chanter, and that's pretty much all I want it for. One needs to be a little more careful when playing, but it is worth it.
dackerts
Tell us something.: I play the uilleann pipes and whistles in Iceland. Apparently I need more characters here. And even more than that.

Post by dackerts »

Link doesn't work for me - sounds interesting though.

I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a potential acoustic challenge with tuning a one-hole E on the baritone reg, as it seems to be a generally fiddly note (e.g. chanters seem to like having E play with two holes vented). Any comment on that from those who've made them or used them?
Juan Pablo Plata

bensdad wrote:Another option, which DMQ realized for me both in my flat set, and on a new baritone reg for my D set, is to have the D key have two positions: played with normal (de-)pression you get a D; push it a little harder and it opens an E key on the underside of the reg.
See if this link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 404&type=3
You can see the linking rod under the D key.
I asked for this in order to be able to play the E-G chord against the C natural on the chanter, and that's pretty much all I want it for. One needs to be a little more careful when playing, but it is worth it.

Can´t see the image :(

Yes, I knew that option, but a separate E key gives you the EA chord, too...