It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: John Rooney R.I.P.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:17 am 

John Rooney has passed away. My condolences to his family and friends. John was a very fine uilleann piper. Dave Williams told me about John back in 1980 at his workshop in Newark, Notts., and showed me the set he had made for John which was a copy of Felix Doran's "silver" set. John's piping reminded me very much of Felix Doran's piping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-b_ki_2okM

Post subject: Re: John Rooney R.I.P.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:24 pm 

Jeez, that is sad news. John called to my house a couple of times back in the 80s looking for us to fix him up with a session. I had often hoped to bump into him again somewhere along the road.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:15 pm 

I don't know what caused John's demise Ken. I never met him in person, only came in contact with his pipes, the Felix Doran replica set that Dave made, at Dave Williams' workshops at Newark Notts, and Spilsby, Lincs. during the 80's. He was a remarkable piper though wasn't he.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:08 pm 

This is tragic news. I was fortunate to meet and play tunes with John many times in the early 2000s in Armagh and at various Doran festivals. He was one of my favourite pipers, and was always so generous and encouraging to me in my own playing. My understanding is he learned from Felix, and was part of the living tradition of the Dorans within the Traveller community.

I remember Cillian Vallely staying with me in Toronto in the late 1990s and telling me about John (before I'd ever met him). Cillian said that just listening to John tune up his pipes will blow your mind. And it was true.

A proud Irishman from Crossmaglen, South Armagh.

Codladh sámh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:57 pm 

Sad news. Was John related to Johnny and Felix Doran (grandnephew?) or am I confusing him with someone else?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 am 

Quote:
Sad news. Was John related to Johnny and Felix Doran (grandnephew?) or am I confusing him with someone else? PJ

John is married to Felix Doran's daughter, Mary Doran, and is Felix's son-in-law. I believe John is also related to the Doran's. On my Doran web page I have it that John's wife is his first cousin which would mean that John's mother was a Doran. I assume one of Johnny and Felix Doran's sisters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:56 am 

Twenty five-ish years ago we used to go stay with a friend in the Lincoln area who knew him well but never got to meet him there, he was always somewhere else when we landed. Rochford used to enthuse about his playing too. He did eventually turn up for the Doran tionols, with Larry, and he was the mightly piper I had heard on the tapes.

Here he is, seated at the centre surrounded by other members of the Doran family, listening to Paddy Donoghue and Michael Falsey reminiscing about their meetings with Johnny and Felix.: