Whistle with Uilleann Pipe fingering

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Whistle with Uilleann Pipe fingering

Post by Tunborough »

PB+J wrote:You have a tube with holes in it, or a conical bore tube with holes in it. I'm not understanding the physical differences here. The flute and the whistle are the same. A recorder has more holes for more notes, but has to labor under the same principles of physics under which all windy musical tubes labor.
Whistles (and flutes) resonate as if they are (mostly) open at both ends. Chanters (and other reed instruments) resonate as if they are (mostly) closed at the reed end and open at the other end. These animations from UNSW, and the standing wave diagrams above them on the same page, may help you visualize the difference. (The conical bore on the chanter produces a resonance at the second harmonic, but still acts as if it's closed at one end.)

The difference in the standing wave patterns are why the chanter has a much lower pitch than a whistle of the same length. These differences also make it harder to make closed fingerings and on-the-knee notes work on a whistle, particularly over a two-octave range. Maybe it is possible without impractically large or widely spaced holes, but I'm not yet convinced. Given the evidence of the Song of the Sea whistle-chanter, though, I should take a second look at how it might work.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I have never seen a Song of the Sea Whistle/Chanter. If it had 'tuning holes on the bottom, essentially making it an open ended tube, getting the 'whistle' to sound in tune would be trivial. But you would have no finger articulated staccato as you do with a true chanter.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

US patent 6,031,168, filed by Edward Damm of Bar Harbour, Maine, expired just recently. It gives the hole layout for Bb and A versions. Assuming the Bb is built on a Generation head and tube, I'd expect about half a dozen notes would be out of tune in normal playing, up to a quarter tone. The sample scale (on the A version) was better than that, only a few notes out of tune. This is better than I expected, and maybe close enough for playing around by yourself at home, to get a feel for the fingering.