WTB: reasonable half set for reasonable price

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Owardlaw
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly a whistle player but I am looking to start flute soon. I have made a few PVC ones but can never get the tunning right!

WTB: reasonable half set for reasonable price

Post by Owardlaw »

Hello all,

As a poor college student money is tight, but I do have some funds set aside. Not looking for anything of super super quality just looking for a reasonable set of a reasonable amount of money.

I am looking for...

- 1/2 set in D with bag and bellows
or
- chanter-less 1/2 set D with bag and bellows

bellows can be excluded if you would like to keep them and just sell drones bag etc but would make it easier for me to sell with bellows...

Locations west coast USA.

Thanks
Last edited by Owardlaw on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Re: WTB: reasonable half set for reasonable price

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Where are you located? North America? Europe?
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Your request is a little vague and adding some additional information might help others in assisting you. One might deduce from your post that you have a chanter and bellows, but no bag, mainstock or drones. Is there a particular key (D, C#, C, B, Bb, etc.) that you desire for your requested equipment?

Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Owardlaw
Tell us something.: Mostly a whistle player but I am looking to start flute soon. I have made a few PVC ones but can never get the tunning right!

Post by Owardlaw »

You are right it is slightly vague. I just updated the information. I am in north America

I do not have bellows or a chanter, but I have a way of getting a cheap chanter so if someone is willing to sell a set without a chanter to keep the cost down that would work for me.

Thanks, Owen
Owardlaw

Post by Owardlaw »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:Where are you located? North America? Europe?
I am in North america!
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Owardlaw wrote:You are right it is slightly vague. I just updated the information. I am in north America

I do not have bellows or a chanter, but I have a way of getting a cheap chanter so if someone is willing to sell a set without a chanter to keep the cost down that would work for me.

Thanks, Owen
I would respectfully suggest making absolutely sure that the chanter is of good workmanship.
Hopefully your description of "cheap" only refers to the price and not the quality. Do you know who crafted this particular chanter?

And is there a certain budget you are trying to stay within?
Owardlaw

Post by Owardlaw »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:
Owardlaw wrote:You are right it is slightly vague. I just updated the information. I am in north America

Thanks, Owen
I would respectfully suggest making absolutely sure that the chanter is of good workmanship.
Hopefully your description of "cheap" only refers to the price and not the quality. Do you know who crafted this particular chanter?

And is there a certain budget you are trying to stay within?

The chanter I am looking at is made by kenneth mcnicholl. I want an instrument of good playable quality, that's about it. If it plays nicely then I am interested. Not looking for anything perfect or of superior cosmetic quality.

Id like to stay under $1500

Thanks.
JMacfie
Tell us something.: I'm a new uilleann piper. I've been highland piping for over 20 years as well as playing whistle and Irish flute. Cheers!

Post by JMacfie »

Just saw a bag/main stock/drones set for sale on Facebook. Not sure if you've checked out the "Uilleann Piping" group there?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5418883237/?fref=nf
---> Jarrod
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Owardlaw wrote:
RenaissanceGuy wrote: And is there a certain budget you are trying to stay within?
Id like to stay under $1500

Thanks.
Personally, I think that's going to be tough to do, though with enough patience and persistence I guess you never know what may turn up. I've paid more than that for just a good chanter. Best of luck in any event.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

If you can get a hold of David Daye, you can come under your stated budget amount with a half set that works very well, though not necessarily very aesthetically pleasing.
There would be a wait though, as he makes them to order.
Owardlaw

Post by Owardlaw »

hello all,

thanks for the comments and advice, found a nice half set for my asking price! Plays pretty well very happy.
RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Owardlaw wrote:hello all,

thanks for the comments and advice, found a nice half set for my asking price! Plays pretty well very happy.
Nice! May we ask who made this half set?