WTB: Vinyl bag

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oldpiping
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

WTB: Vinyl bag

Post by Oldpiping »

Vinyl bag wanted. New if you make them or 2nd hand (airtight!).
Small size preferably. PM offers please if you have anything for sale. Thanks
john

Re: WTB: Vinyl bag

Post by john »

I've seen vinyl bags for northumbrian pipes. Does vinyl have an advantage over leather? Is it for vegans?
RenaissanceGuy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

David Daye makes a pretty solid vinyl bag for UP, at $28 plus $14 shipping. It seems difficult to get in contact with him lately, though.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

If you are in the UK Bannatyne

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Oldpiping
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Oldpiping »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:It seems difficult to get in contact with him lately, though
I'll try with him 1st, but someone from Europe would be better.
BigDavy wrote:If you are in the UK Bannatyne

David
They are probably Goretex material, which I once tried and I had mixed feelings. I would prefer Vinyl bag.

Thanks
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

The "vinyl" bags I have seen on Northumbrian pipes have either been made by Dave Shaw or by me. They are actually canvas coated on both sides with liquid latex. They have advantages over leather in that they are absolutely air tight right from the start, super easy to fix if a leak develops, and cost about $20 a bag to make, whatever size and shape you want. They are really easy to make and require a pair of scissors and a paint brush. The down side is that they are butt ugly and you will want to sew a bag cover to cover them, which looks nice to many people. I am happy to send you free full illustrated instructions to make them if you like. They work great for uilleann pipes.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
SEAGULL
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

liestman wrote:The "vinyl" bags I have seen on Northumbrian pipes have either been made by Dave Shaw or by me. They are actually canvas coated on both sides with liquid latex. They have advantages over leather in that they are absolutely air tight right from the start, super easy to fix if a leak develops, and cost about $20 a bag to make, whatever size and shape you want. They are really easy to make and require a pair of scissors and a paint brush. The down side is that they are butt ugly and you will want to sew a bag cover to cover them, which looks nice to many people. I am happy to send you free full illustrated instructions to make them if you like. They work great for uilleann pipes.
I would be very interested in seeing instructions. Thanks!
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

So would I!
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

My instructions were published several years ago in the Pipers Review, which NPU has preserved in their archives (as I was reminded by my new Slovenian friend, thanks!). You should be able to find the article here. I called them Rubber Ducky Bags.

http://pipers.ie/source/media/?searchTe ... iaId=26420

If that link does not work, search for "pipers review" and "rubber ducky bags".

All the best in your endeavors!
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman