bamboo for reeds?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
crofter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm getting ready to retire. After retirement, I'll have more time, but less money, so I'm considering buying a 1/2 set of uilleann pipes while I still can. I figured this is probably a good place to get some pointers on a good (but not too expensive) set for a beginner.

bamboo for reeds?

Post by crofter »

I have managed to get some Arundo donax from a fellow in Florida and I have planted it. We'll see how well that works. But even if it *does* work, it sounds like I have several years to wait before I get canes large enough to make reeds from, so I have a question...

I am told that botanical "experts" say that bamboo does not grow this far north. The bamboo, of course, does not know this, so it grows around here with wild abandon. It's actually quite invasive and grows into large dense stands if left alone. Some of the bamboo around here is maybe 1.5"-2.0" in diameter.

In looking at the bamboo, it looks to my untutored eyes to be similar to Arundo donax. Not exactly the same, of course, but similar. So I had to wonder (while I am waiting for mine to grow) if it might be possible to make acceptable reeds from bamboo. (It would be really handy to have an almost unlimited local source for reed making material!)

I did a search of the forum for bamboo reeds and it looks to me like there are conflicting opinions. Some folks say that it simply cannot be done and others say that it can and has been done. Would anyone who has been successful making a reed from bamboo like to chime in with his experiences?
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: bamboo for reeds?

Post by tommykleen »

I’m not sure where you live, but I’d caution against planting what is confirmed to be a quite-invasive species in your area (Arundo).

To your question: I’ve not heard of any successful reeds made of bamboo. Perhaps it is too porous/stringy.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
crofter
Tell us something.: I'm getting ready to retire. After retirement, I'll have more time, but less money, so I'm considering buying a 1/2 set of uilleann pipes while I still can. I figured this is probably a good place to get some pointers on a good (but not too expensive) set for a beginner.

Post by crofter »

tommykleen wrote:I’m not sure where you live, but I’d caution against planting what is confirmed to be a quite-invasive species in your area (Arundo).
Well... Not to worry. Actually, I have planted it in a very large (25 gal.) plastic pot. From what I read, any seeds produced will likely be sterile, as the plant normally propagates by rhizomes. As long as the rhizomes can't get through the sides of the pot, I think I am OK. If it starts to outgrow the pot, I plan to segment the rhizomes and put them in other large plastic pots. Will this work? I don't know, but I think there is one way to find out...
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

A friend tried making reeds from bamboo. After several attempts he concluded that the bamboo was too hard and brittle to be suitable. I don’t think he succeeded in making any playable reeds from bamboo.

There you go: sample size of 1 ! :)
PJ
reedmasters

Post by reedmasters »

Although I never attempted to make chanter reeds from bamboo (Arundinaria japonica), I have made quite nice drone reeds from it. I burnt out the pithy middles and sealed the closed end with wax.
Don.t think Crofter has to worry about his Arundo plants being too invasive where he's at. The seeds are not viable and he has it confined.
My own plantings are doing great and several are nearly two feet tall.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Sample size of two: my teacher Chris Langan said it was unsuitable because it was "harder than the hob of Hell"!
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Yes very successfully , plastic tongues ...
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs