The popping strap thread

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RenaissanceGuy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

The popping strap thread

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Hello there. I notice there are popping straps available online from a few makers. However, I prefer to make my own, as it seems like a rather simple endeavor. I was wondering, is there a preferred type of leather? How is function affected by thickness, softness, pliability, texture, etc.? Arts and crafts stores sell pieces of leather, about the same dimensions as letter-sized paper, and these seem quite usable and inexpensive.
Do you just let the popping strap rest on your thigh, or do you tie it down?

Also, how much attention do you give to the appearance of the strap? Do you try to match the leather color to your bellows, bag or or bag cover? Do you do any embroidery or embossing along the edges, or anything like that?

Do you have any good examples you can show here?
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The popping strap thread

Post by An Draighean »

RenaissanceGuy wrote:How is function affected by thickness, softness, pliability, texture, etc.?
It needs to be thin and pliable enough to lay on/mold to your thigh, and soft enough to easily seal the end of the chanter. I have two homemade ones; one was a scrap piece of green suede that I found in my da's workbench and my wife hemmed it for me. The other is just a car-wash chamois that I fold once or twice.

RenaissanceGuy wrote:Do you just let the popping strap rest on your thigh, or do you tie it down?
Just rests on my thigh.

RenaissanceGuy wrote:Also, how much attention do you give to the appearance of the strap?
None.

RenaissanceGuy wrote:Do you try to match the leather color to your bellows, bag or or bag cover? Do you do any embroidery or embossing along the edges, or anything like that?
No to both.
RenaissanceGuy wrote:Do you have any good examples you can show here?
My chamois one is as seen in my avatar photograph.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

The popping strap is pretty simple. Mine is just a piece of soft leather with one side being smooth, so it easily covers the bottom of the chanter. The piece of leather I use covers the length of my thigh, so that it also helps to prevent the drones from sliding as much. I don't have it at hand, but it's probably 18 x 12". You could probably find leather cheap that would work at a leather shop as scrap, if there's one near you.
Life is good.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I know many people who use a piece of chamois. But I don’t get it: the stuff easily creases and generates folds. How does that work?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

tommykleen wrote:I know many people who use a piece of chamois. But I don’t get it: the stuff easily creases and generates folds. How does that work?
Most pieces of chamois (that you would use to dry a car) are fairly large; fold it in half once or twice and it becomes much more thick and less likely to crease or fold. Having said that, I have gone back to using my sueded leather most of the time, instead of the chamois.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Tom Jones has the answer.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Why?
WHY?
WHY???
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

My popping strap (a piece of pig suede) blew away in the wind during an outdoor performance where the stage was by the river. That was about 25 years ago. I've never used a popping strap since. Unless you wear corduroy or woolen fabric trousers, your should manage a seal without a strap.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

So I got this 8.5x11" piece of craft suede in reddish brown, from Michael's.

It works well at sealing the chanter end, and it actually looks quite nice with my dark green bag cover.