Alain Froment Full set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uilleannpiperireland
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: An uilleann piper of 14 years from ireland.
I like a drop of fine Irish whiskey with a few tunes.
Sometimes I also think life would have been so much easier if I had taken up the concertina.

Alain Froment Full set

Post by uilleannpiperireland »

Sometime in the near future I might have to part with something very special to me.
This is a full set of Alain's pipes in D (made in 1990, sat under a bed for 20 years), anyone that knows or has played his sets I'm sure will agree they are among the Roles Royce of pipes.

Anyhow i understand the whole supply / demand / market value is what someone will pay etc etc.

But I would have no idea what to ask for this set as I have never seen one up for sale.

Issues - None really - a small chip on 2 mounts well hidden below drones, you cant see until you go looking.

Reason for sale - A growing young family, Saving for a deposit for a house. - I know people will say I am mad and its bricks and mortar, but unfortunately financially its seems to be the only way at the moment.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Alain Froment Full set

Post by Steampacket »

A C# full set by Froment was for sale in December 2008 for €12500 = £11281

Sellers description: "C# Full set made by Alain Froment in 2001. Fully keyed chanter, 3
regulators and 4 drones (extra 5th)- New L&M bag. 1938 Indian ebony and
real ivory, hand-forged keys and in perfect playing condition."
uilleannpiperireland
Sometimes I also think life would have been so much easier if I had taken up the concertina.

Ok thanks for that.
Isn't Alain more well known for his CP sets i haven't played a flat set of his but I'm sure they are very nice, he was so meticulous.
I think MOB has a couple of flat sets.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

The 4-Reg Concert Pitch Froment set I acquired in 2008 was listed at £7,800 back then. The exchange rate to the US Dollar was so bad back then, that the price in USD was the same as £11,281 would be today... just over $14,000. It's hard to say what a full Froment set would price out at today though. Full sets by top makers today are often north of $15K, are they not? Full sets by makers like Froment and Williams are rarely advertised for sale. Downward pressure on price is also present to an extent because there are more high quality makers today than there were ten years ago. There are some pipers (no names mentioned, Rory :wink: ) that have a strong preference for Froment. I can vouch for the quality, playability and sound of Froment's work.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
marcobattaglia
Tell us something.: I am an amateur uilleann piper I browse the forum to learn about sales and tricks RE pipes & whistles

Post by marcobattaglia »

hello UPI, just read y post and I would be seriously interested
at what point of your contemplation process are you? would you follow up and send me a message?
cheers
MB
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

What are the materials? I have a recollection of seeing a Froment half set in the early ‘90s made of ebony and brass.
PJ
uilleannpiperireland

Hi PJ
Looks like any Froment set I've seen.
Stainless and ebony and imitation mounts.
I have a selection of photos and sound clips which I've forwarded to quite a few people by now.
uilleannpiperireland

SOLD thanks to all interested
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

If it's not too rude could you say how much the set sold for? Was it more, or less, than £13000? Fully understand if you have no desire to say the amount :)
uilleannpiperireland

That’s a bit personal.
Cheers
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

That’s a bit personal.
As said uilleannpiperireland that's ok. I think pipes by the big five modern makers Wooff, Williams, O'Briain, Froment, Kohler & Quinn, will always be in demand and command high prices as their quality is proven, and they are in limited supply. Not sure how many sets Froment and Williams made before their demise.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Steampacket wrote: I think pipes by the big five modern makers Wooff, Williams, O'Briain, Froment, Kohler & Quinn, will always be in demand and command high prices as their quality is proven.
Looking on it in purely an objective way, Alain Froment being on the top of the big five ,I would think MORE .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

rorybbellows wrote:
Looking on it in purely an objective way, Alain Froment being on the top of the big five ,I would think MORE .

RORY
On top? Not disagreeing with you but what do you think it is about Froment's work that gives it the edge?

Particularly interested as Froment is the one maker out of those five whose work I've never seen / heard up close.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Looking on it in purely an objective way, Alain Froment being on the top of the big five ,I would think MORE. RORY
I don't think so, but each to her/his own. My favourite makers are Geoff Wooff and the late Dave Williams. They are my favourites as regards design, quality of build, tuning, and the sound of their drones, regs and chanters. Froment, O'Briain and K&Q pipes are fine instruments too.

There are also a number of contemporary makers making excellent pipes these days such as Marcus Coulter, David Lim, Gordon Galloway, Makoto Nakatsui, Derrick Gleeson, Andreas Rogge, Joe Kennedy to name but a few
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

That’s a bit personal
It's a good thing that a lot of others don't feel the same way, or your request for information about what the value this set might be would have no responses since there would be no information about what they sell for. I find it odd to post such a request on a public forum, but then not want to contribute information that makes the forum more useful for exactly what you used it for.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.