It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Alain Froment Full set
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 pm 

Sometime in the near future I might have to part with something very special to me.
This is a full set of Alain's pipes in D (made in 1990, sat under a bed for 20 years), anyone that knows or has played his sets I'm sure will agree they are among the Roles Royce of pipes.

Anyhow i understand the whole supply / demand / market value is what someone will pay etc etc.

But I would have no idea what to ask for this set as I have never seen one up for sale.

Issues - None really - a small chip on 2 mounts well hidden below drones, you cant see until you go looking.

Reason for sale - A growing young family, Saving for a deposit for a house. - I know people will say I am mad and its bricks and mortar, but unfortunately financially its seems to be the only way at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:43 am 

A C# full set by Froment was for sale in December 2008 for €12500 = £11281

Sellers description: "C# Full set made by Alain Froment in 2001. Fully keyed chanter, 3
regulators and 4 drones (extra 5th)- New L&M bag. 1938 Indian ebony and
real ivory, hand-forged keys and in perfect playing condition."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:37 pm 

Ok thanks for that.
Isn't Alain more well known for his CP sets i haven't played a flat set of his but I'm sure they are very nice, he was so meticulous.
I think MOB has a couple of flat sets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:47 pm 

The 4-Reg Concert Pitch Froment set I acquired in 2008 was listed at £7,800 back then. The exchange rate to the US Dollar was so bad back then, that the price in USD was the same as £11,281 would be today... just over $14,000. It's hard to say what a full Froment set would price out at today though. Full sets by top makers today are often north of $15K, are they not? Full sets by makers like Froment and Williams are rarely advertised for sale. Downward pressure on price is also present to an extent because there are more high quality makers today than there were ten years ago. There are some pipers (no names mentioned, Rory :wink: ) that have a strong preference for Froment. I can vouch for the quality, playability and sound of Froment's work.