What triplets are that?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What triplets are that?

Post by ertwert »

Hi, I am currently focussing on including more triplets in my playing. It would be very cool, if you could help me out with identifying the following ornamentations :)
Right now, I am learning the Salamanca reel. My goal is to play it a bit like this (okay, as close as I might be able to :D):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=w9x3hD566GI
In the Salamanca you have this typical phrase of F#-D-E-C#
In the playing of Donnacha Dwyer, there is sometimes a triplet during the first half of this phrase, sometimes during the second part.
I guess, during the first part of this phrase he plays a F#-E-D triplet. When he plays a triplet during the second half of this phrase, it is a E-D-C# triplet?
The phrase F#-D-E-C# can be found in so many reels. But I don't get it, what kind of triplet is often used by pipers to substitute the E-C# part...when I try to play a E-D-C# triplet it just doesn't match what I hear in the recordings. But yeah, I could also be my sloppy technique :D

Another tune I am currently trying to play with more triplets is Humours of Ballyloughlin. Richard Patkos is playing it in a very cool and inspiring way in the following clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjesIY_CjM
During the second part of this tune, there is a phrase that is often written down as D-E-D D-E-D (the third bar of the second part of the tune). Richard Patkos is playing some sort of staccato triplet in this phrase. You can hear it around 0:25 of the clip.
What kind of ornamentation is that? Is it a back d followed by a G-F#-E Triplet? And the same figure is played twice?
It sounds phenomenally in this clip!
Thanks for your help and stay healthy :)
chaos97

Re: What triplets are that?

Post by chaos97 »

I think in the first clip he is using fef-e-c-d,

And the patkos clip is d-gfe-d-gfe

I'm not being condescending, but youtube allows you to slow each video down in the settings. It's a great feature for learning.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You may want to familiarise yourself with the gfd triplet. Useful in both cases.

But you can take the fdec run in many ways:

(3gfd ec - (3gfA ec - (3fgf ec - (3fga ec - (3fca ec - fd (3gfe - fd (3geg - fd (3efg - (3AcA (3gfe - etc etc . You always have options, all you need to do is pick the ones that make the tune shine.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
But you can take the fdec run in many ways:

(3gfd ec - (3gfA ec - (3fgf ec - (3fga ec - (3fca ec - fd (3gfe - fd (3geg - fd (3efg - (3AcA (3gfe - etc etc . You always have options, all you need to do is pick the ones that make the tune shine.
Thanks for that!

The (3gfA sounds like a backstitching sort of thing, as long as you have the gf staccato notes happen they can be followed by any note on the other hand of course.

About the (3AcA it's funny how on a Highland pipe forum thread ongoing now a Highland piper suddenly realised he's been doing that by accident- playing

x xxo xxxo
x xxx xxxo
x oxx xxxo
x xxx xxxo
x xxo xxxo

instead of the way it's supposed to be on the Highland pipes

x xxo xxxo
x xxx xxxo
x xox xxxo
x xxx xxxo
x xxo xxxo

I told him that if he ever decides to take up the uilleann pipes he has one ornament ready to go.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle