Aebi chanter models?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Aebi chanter models?

Post by PJ »

Thomas Aebi offers two models of chanter: Kennedy and Rowsome. Can anyone describe the difference between the two?
PJ
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Re: Aebi chanter models?

Post by glasba »

I owned 2 Kennedy models and I now have his Rowsome, but I still miss my 1st Kennedy very much. Hard to decide…
IMHO one of the very best concert pitch chanters on the planet made by real talent. 

Kennedy: the most intune CP chanter I ever heard! You should see the tuner. Ee's better you could imagine. Very rich/dense, bright tone with lots of harmonics. Very distinct and unique sparkle you can hear in the air. Easier to reed than Rowsome. Works with precise tubing staple.

Rowsome: more round sound, to my ear darker, mybe warmer, more buttery, creamy. Also complex tone with nice harmonics. You can get wider dynamics in volume and personality of each tone holes with different fingerings in my opinion. A bit harder to reed than Kennedy. Needs hand rolled staple.

They are both great, just different character. I think Tom was/is making 1 version of Kennedy, but probably 2 Rowsomes (narrower and wider).

Just contact him. A very kind person. He is now experimenting with a new materials and his chanters were advanced even more in last 3 years. I personaly am addicted to Aebi, so I am thinking of his new chanters again, this time mybe his Bb.

Best, AA
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Re: Aebi chanter models?

Post by glasba »

...I was informed that the tuning of Thomas Aebi "Rowsome" model chanters was even more improved, so it is just great! Also reeding his Rowsome became easy since staple and other dimenzions were perfected to best possible. He now makes the "Rowsome" model in wide bore/large holes version with best results. I knew he is genius! I am tempted again :)
Best, AA