I can't keep my hose in the hole....

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I can't keep my hose in the hole....

Post by WireHarp »

:o

I battled with a Frankenset for around ten years... Ginnsberg chanter married to a Bayley pastoral set, making a union something or other. Well I FINALLY was able to get hold of a real, full concert set (Rogge D in PLum and boxwood..I love it.) but have had real trouble adjusting how to hold the beast with all those buttons. I just can't seem to find a comfortable spot to be able to get at the regs comfortably. Far worse: the hose into the bellows keeps popping out as I'm playing. At first I thought the arm strap wasn't tight enough to keep the bellows from shifting, but even after tightening up it still happens.
I know the auto-response is "find a piper near you ..." and I will be getting together with a piper friend in the not too distant future. I was hoping to tap the collective hive mind in the mean time. Has this hose disfunction happen to others, and a solution found? Thanks in advance.
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: I can't keep my hose in the hole....

Post by dyersituations »

The connector tube can easily disconnect if it isn't long enough. Pretty much each time I've purchased a set I've had to change the connector hose length. Depending on what the connector hose on your set is made of you should be able to buy some clear PVC tubing or something to make the set more comfortable. I use clear PVC tubing from McMaster. If you go this route, make the hose a length that is likely too long, play the set a bit, then cut off some tube if it's too long. I often leave the tube at a length for a couple days at a time when it gets close to the right length so I don't cut off too much before I adjust to the length.

In regards to the regs not being easily accessible, that's a common problem, I had the same issue when I first bought a full set, and it might be remedied when the set has a connector hose that fits you. Otherwise, think about how you hold the set. Keep in mind there are very different approaches. Some pipers hold the bag up under their arms a bit, and other pipers keep the bad more on the hip. There are excellent pipers with both approaches. In the beginning I toyed with using a shoulder strap made from a shoe lace to get the regs in a comfortable place, but I ended up becoming comfortable with placing the bag on my hip, which positioned the regs more across my lap.

Just play around with how you hold the pipes and how long the hose is. And as you probably know, these things take time. I wasn't comfortable with a full set for at least a year, and in some ways, the set has only really felt fully comfortable recently, after playing it for a couple years.
Life is good.
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

On my Andreas Rogge bellows the black rubber tube has black plastic adapter that goes into hole on bellows.

If the tube with adapter pops out from bellows it could mean that rubber tube adapter is a wee bit loose and not a tight fit and would eventually pop out.

What I had to do to my Rogge bellows rubber adapter was put waxed hemp on but first would need combing grooves on adapter as to hold grip the hemp on.

Best to get pipemaker to add combing grooves on adapter.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

WireHarp wrote: I can't keep my hose in the hole....
The hose might be a bit limp, try a stiffer one ,but as suggested it might be that its just to short, some say that that size doesn't matter and its how you use it thats important so try different positions and see if that helps.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
m muir

Post by m muir »

The hose might be a bit limp, try a stiffer one ,but as suggested it might be that its just to short, some say that that size doesn't matter and its how you use it thats important so try different positions and see if that helps.

RORY

Rory, you just can't help yourself :lol:
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

m muir wrote: Rory, you just can't help yourself :lol:
Ah ,you know me so well . It would be against all I hold dear to let an opportunity like that go without comment.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

dyersituations wrote:The connector tube can easily disconnect if it isn't long enough. Pretty much each time I've purchased a set I've had to change the connector hose length.
Me too.
dyersituations wrote:Depending on what the connector hose on your set is made of you should be able to buy some clear PVC tubing or something to make the set more comfortable. I use clear PVC tubing from McMaster. If you go this route, make the hose a length that is likely too long, play the set a bit, then cut off some tube if it's too long. I often leave the tube at a length for a couple days at a time when it gets close to the right length so I don't cut off too much before I adjust to the length.
This is exactly what I do, except that I use automobile heater hose instead of clear PVC. Heater hose will not collapse; it is stiff enough even for Rory.

The position of the regulator keys is almost infinitely adjustable, between turning the regs in the main stock, turning the main stock in the tie-in socket, and how high you hold the bag as dyersituations said. It will take some experimentation and time to find the right spot for everything.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

rorybbellows wrote:
m muir wrote: Rory, you just can't help yourself :lol:
Ah ,you know me so well . It would be against all I hold dear to let an opportunity like that go without comment.

RORY
I would most certainly comment
but a gentleman never tells........
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WireHarp »

So I took Ferg's advice and went at the plastic fitting with a file. Spiraly groove....thread... wow what a difference. The connection is much tighter, and the fact that I can worry less about a pop-out means I can play around with the whole set position more. I think everyone is right, time will cure the situation with the regs.. Thanks to all for the input, and I KNEW somebody would take the hosey/holey bait....heh heh...