synthetic reedmaking

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: synthetic reedmaking

Post by Uilliam »

Antaine wrote:anybody out there know how to make a set of synthetic drone reeds from brass or plastic tubing and styrene? Other suggestions for the tongue other than styrene?
Dionys this is the original unedited version :boggle: looks clear enough to me!!
Which puts my original comments fully into perspective about telling the tonal difference between synthetic and cane DRONE reeds and I remain confident that you won't be able to tell the diff.
:really:
bagpipeworks

Synthetic reeds

Post by bagpipeworks »

Hi

I have made good regulator reeds using and converting ready made composite sax reeds, but the chanter is a different matter, I can only get one to work about 85%.
Its whilst in the second octave where the problems show, the composite material is less forgiving than natural cane and is very hard to control once over G2.
I'm trying a different angle, by pressure impregnating the cane with a composite type resin, which when dry, is similar to a synthetic sax reed, I will let you know how it goes later.

Davy.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

if a synth reed won't sound in the second octave at all, but plays in tune in the lower octave, what modifications are usually required?
bagpipeworks

Synthetic reeds

Post by bagpipeworks »

Hi

The composite reeds I have made in the past work well in the second octave, but only in the lower regime.

The type of materials used in ready made sax and clarinet reeds are less forgiving when compared to cane, they tend to hold back in the secondary oxilliary regime in the top part of the reed making things very difficult to control there, just like when your reed has dried out and become stiffer.

I have tried various methods like differing rates of staple taper/length and eye sizes, even if you scrape the comp material down to a very thin section in the area mentioned, the same senario comes back to haunt you in the upper second octave, its as if the material has a memory which it wants to stay at.

Where the real problem lies is, within the resin densities of the off shelf
reeds found today, if a material could be found and mixed to mimic the flexability of cane then one would have a good platform to work from.

One last thing I would like to point out is, I have found that the primary oxilliary regime is much more sensitive to any changes found within any cone, than the second regime, so making and designing a reed which would work in most of the wider bored chanters found today is a non starter.

Are there any chemists out there who have worked on/with similar materials, who could throw any light upon this subject ?.

Davy.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Uilliam,

Actually, I'm pretty certain it's not the original, unedited version. I specifically remember going back and checking if it had the word "drone" in it after my own message regarding synthetic chanter reeds. The new board doesn't say a message has been edited if you edit it (I checked this as well).

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Dionys this has obviously rattled you and I'm sorry for that but how important is this?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Editing can be done several times, for up to maybe 1/2 hr or 3-4 times, without the edit note showing up on the base line. But if someone has replied, then the edit note shows. Someone may be replying to a post, and actually submitt it, while the previous post was being edited. That can be kind of disturbing, but you can always adjust by editing and conforming to the latest version, and making the reply seem more coherent.

Here's the explanation from FAQ:

How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are the board admin or forum moderator you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post (sometimes for only a limited time after it was made) by clicking the edit button for the relevant post. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic that lists the number of times you edited it. This will only appear if no one has replied; it also will not appear if moderators or administrators edit the post (they should leave a message saying what they altered and why). Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

PS: I just edited to add this...you can also delete your entire post by clicking the X in the top right corner if the reply seems irrelevant. The X disappears too after a certain time.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Thanks for making your font size normal Lorenzo... maybe I'll read a few of them now ;)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Guestly fixed upon the screen...I guess
I've placed myself too much for arranging
when I shouldn't, and doubting when I should,
and it's given my writers bump a nasty cut..(sigh) Image