Leo Rickard's Glen of Aherlow

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Leo Rickard's Glen of Aherlow

Post by buskerSean »

Leo Rickard has a fine version of The Glen of Aherlow on his Up, Down and Around album. In the versions I've seen of this in Edor it drops below bottom D in bars 2, 6 & 7 on the A part. Has Leo transposed the tune or has he just swapped out these bars? Anyone got the dots or ABC please? https://open.spotify.com/track/6m7S2eni ... R6gizXCj9w
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Leo Rickard's Glen of Aherlow

Post by benhall.1 »

buskerSean wrote:Leo Rickard has a fine version of The Glen of Aherlow on his Up, Down and Around album. In the versions I've seen of this in Edor it drops below bottom D in bars 2, 6 & 7 on the A part. Has Leo transposed the tune or has he just swapped out these bars? Anyone got the dots or ABC please? https://open.spotify.com/track/6m7S2eni ... R6gizXCj9w
Rats. Can't listen to it. :(
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Rats. Can't listen to it.
Eaxactly. Don't you hate it when thathappens ? :swear:

As a result I haven't heard it but imagine he does what everybody else does/would do: raise the low notes an octave. Has worked for me for nearly two decades. Other than that, consider the versions you hear rather than the ones you see, perhaps?

[edit/add] just listened to a few bars of preview on Amazon and he raises the low notes, something obvious enough, along the lines of B2 AF BFAF EDEF EdBA |B---etc (I'd leave the D low but both amount to the same thing and retain the original notes)
My brain hurts

buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Great, thank you. Not everyone is so good by ear. I belive Frank Custy said he always needed the notes to learn a tune, so I’m in good company.