Adjusting spruce reeds?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Adjusting spruce reeds?

Post by PJ »

A friend has asked me to adjust a spruce chanter reed. I have a spruce reg reed but it has never needed adjustment. I presume that the same rules apply as with cane reeds.

My intention is to inspect the reed, check for leaks, cracks, (add wax and hemp if necessary). The only adjustment I am envisaging is to the bridle, to open or close it, and maybe to the seating of the reed, nothing else.

Any particular "do's and don't's" which apply to spruce reeds that I should be aware of?
PJ
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: Adjusting spruce reeds?

Post by tommykleen »

One thing I’ve found is that spruce reeds seem to suffer the influence of (internal) gunk more than cane. I air-blew an entire dog’s worth of fur, dander, skin cells, etc out of my spruce reg reeds...with spectacular results.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.