Liam O'Flynn's pipes.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Frostyreeds
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello! Just creating an account in order to post on the uilleann forum about piping stuff, probably mostly about reeds and reedmaking. Thanks and have a good day!

Re: Liam O'Flynn's pipes.

Post by Frostyreeds »

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Really nice playing and the set sounds great. Is this the piper that now has charge of the set and if so I hope he has as much success with them as Liam did .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Pretty obviously filmed at NPU; guessing that the pipes reside there.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

PJ
jack london
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Post by jack london »

Anyone know the titles to the reels?
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Lovely playing from Colm there. The first is Mary MacMahon of Ballynahinch and the second is Lord McDonald's.
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

Holy sh%$. I mean, obviously great playing there, but it's such an unmistakable chanter. I know the reed makes a massive difference (although I thought I read that it'd just been re-reeded?) but I don't understand how seemingly no-one has ever made a chanter that sounds like it. All the makers, all the measurements that've been done. There's lots of great makers out there who make awesome sounding instruments, but none (in my mind) ever seems to quite capture what this particular chanter has.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Tom_S wrote:Holy sh%$. it's such an unmistakable chanter.
There's a lot of Liams DNA embedded in that chanter, as is slowly dissipates, the chanter will probably revert to sounding a like any other great Rowsome chanter.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipewort »

I enjoyed hearing what was great playing, and the O 'Flynn sound from the chanter. To my ear, the regs were not in tune.

I think it is very difficult to emulate the sound from some other persons set, for all sorts of reasons. But, your man did a GREAT job, and lovely playing.

I am glad that some one has broken the duck, of showing off the sound in such good way, and a respectful way, to the memory of a truly wonderful player.
JR

Post by JR »

Tom_S wrote:I thought I read that it'd just been re-reeded?
Who recently reeded it? I know it was originally Leo, then Pat Skt, right?
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

JR wrote:
Tom_S wrote:I thought I read that it'd just been re-reeded?
Who recently reeded it? I know it was originally Leo, then Pat Skt, right?
I believe Donnacha Dwyer did the work. The Ennis Coyne, too!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

rorybbellows wrote:What do you think would be a good future for Liam's Rowsome set. Should they put in a museum , or should they (be) bequeathed to some worthy piper ?
To get back to the original question, I don't think the LOF Rowsome set should be put in a museum. Loaning the pipes to a worthy piper would be the best thing to do. Even if LOF played this set for may years, he wasn't the first/only person to play it.

Loaning the set to a suitable piper would seem to me to be the best arrangement. It was loaned by SR to Willie Clancy and then to LOF. But who decides on the suitable piper?

The set seems to be "living" at NPU HQ. Does anyone know whether it is on loan from Sean Reid's or LOF's estate?
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Tom_S wrote: but I don't understand how seemingly no-one has ever made a chanter that sounds like it. All the makers, all the measurements that've been done. There's lots of great makers out there who make awesome sounding instruments, but none (in my mind) ever seems to quite capture what this particular chanter has.
Yes ,and not even Leo Rowsome . You have got to wondering Why.
PJ wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:What do you think would be a good future for Liam's Rowsome set. Should they put in a museum , or should they (be) bequeathed to some worthy piper ?
The set seems to be "living" at NPU HQ. Does anyone know whether it is on loan from Sean Reid's or LOF's estate?
If the set is owned by NPU, it should be sold to the highest bidder. Be that a museum or a private owner. The money could then be invested in the loaner pipes scheme so that many pipers could benefit instead of just one.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes ,and not even Leo Rowsome . You have got to wondering Why.
Presumably because Seán Reid was very specific in his instructions to Leo about what he wanted from the set. And Leo is reported as spending a lot of time achieving what Reid asked for. (and by all accounts charged him accordingly)

That said, years ago I taught a local girl who has a Willie Rowsome set with a Leo chanter that was handpicked for that set by Seán Reid (the original chanter was dismissed by him). That chanter is well capable of sounding like Flynn's when reeded and played in a certain way, especially the top hand notes had/have that specific tone that stood out in Flynn's playing.

My brain hurts

remnant1
Tell us something.: I play tin whistle and started learning uilleann pipes. I live in Charleston and grew up in Tokyo. I play in sessions with friends and travel occasionally to collect tunes and meet people.

Post by remnant1 »

I spoke to Gay McKeon last week. Yes, Liam O'Flynn had bequeathed his pipes to NPU.
I saw and heard the pipes being played.
The case contained replacement reeds with notes hand-written by Benedict Koehler.