Isolated pipers, what has helped you?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Isolated pipers, what has helped you?

Post by ennischanter »

As an isolated piper myself plopped right in midwestern Canada, I would like to know if there are any other isolated pipers here and would like to ask, what has helped you progress?

Ex: Meeting other pipers, learning reedmaking, skype, sessions, reading music?

Just would like to know what could help me as an isolated piper myself.

Thanks.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
geoff wooff

Re: Isolated pipers, what has helped you?

Post by geoff wooff »

It was 40+ years ago when I taught myself to play, in some isolation for the most part living in Australia. One or two tutor books helped but mainly I listened. I put all the recordings of my favourite pipers onto Cassette tapes and had a tape player with auto reverse in my workshop. Luckily I worked alone and could have a tape running continuously. Tunes and techniques were learned by osmosis ( or in my case by OZ-mosis :D )....

My favourite pipers were Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, Tommy Reck, Leo Rowsome, The Dorans etc.... my Parents generation in fact.

I think it feels natural to learn this way, by absorbtion. :thumbsup:
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Regarding isolated pipers, (I'm an isolated piper) What do you guys do in regards to maintenance? I think the need to tinker is the most daunting part for me in regards committing fully to the pipes (I am borrowing awildman's practice-set for trial).

Assuming you guys have had to tinker, have you guys learned to tinker well on your own? Any tips on learning to tinker well?

In my area, I've thought about reaching out to the GHB-pipers (as there are a lot of them) but I actually don't know how helpful that would or wouldn't be. :-?
Ken_C
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ken_C »

About two years of halting, solitary progress now.
Episodes of face-to-face instruction have helped the most.
Tinkering is the huge challenge, especially the chanter reed, and it is still a mystery to me. I don't know how long it will take me before I can confidently adjust it to work (or know to leave it alone) as well as the one experienced piper that lives within two hours' drive of me. Finding leaks was tough until I learned to be no-nonsense and methodical and stop making assumptions.
Compared to that, actually playing is fun, really (when all is working!).
Ken
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Echoing Geoff, listen, listen, listen. Get the NPU tutorial DVDs, practice regularly. Not only was I isolated, I was stuck in Alabama :P

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I'm not isolated,but I would think that this forum is a great help
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

In addition to listening and this forum, going to workshops has been the biggest help. The O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat and Swannanoa have helped me the most. You get confirmation on what you are doing right, correction on what you are doing wrong, and a lot of inspiration and social connection.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Thanks for your input, much appreciated everyone.

Indeed this forum can be of great help, surliness and all :P
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

AaronFW wrote:Regarding isolated pipers, (I'm an isolated piper) What do you guys do in regards to maintenance? I think the need to tinker is the most daunting part for me in regards committing fully to the pipes (I am borrowing awildman's practice-set for trial).

Assuming you guys have had to tinker, have you guys learned to tinker well on your own? Any tips on learning to tinker well?

In my area, I've thought about reaching out to the GHB-pipers (as there are a lot of them) but I actually don't know how helpful that would or wouldn't be. :-?

Interestingly enough I have used the same reed ever since I got my chanter, it's about 5 years old now.

In the winter when humidity can drop to about 20%, the reed still plays OK, aside from a Gurgling and unstable Bottom D, and a sinking Back D, just have to play a soft D.

tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Where are you in Midwest Canada? There are pipers in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg (I think), northern Minnesota, southern Minnesota, Northern Michigan, Detroit area, east/east-central Wisconsin, Chicago, etc. There will be pipers about at festivals in Saint Paul,MN and Milwaukee WI next month too. Maybe a pipe-about is in order?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Ken_C wrote:Tinkering is the huge challenge, especially the chanter reed, and it is still a mystery to me.
I always 100% recommend to any piper that has the time, interest, and money, to get into reed making. It made a huge difference for me, especially as a piper who gigs regularly. I can typically get my reeds to behave in any venue. And when I get a chanter from another part of the world, I can make a series of reeds until one works well. In fact, I have a chanter from Europe waiting for me to make a reed for it, as the reed arrived playing extremely sharp. If you're able to start making reeds, there are free books and videos, and the tools and materials are all fairly cheap. The most expensive piece for me was the gouge.
Life is good.
Ken_C
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ken_C »

dyersituations wrote:
Ken_C wrote:Tinkering is the huge challenge, especially the chanter reed, and it is still a mystery to me.
I always 100% recommend to any piper that has the time, interest, and money, to get into reed making.
Good suggestion. I've been watching for a chance to try it in a class, but heck, maybe I should just give it a go on my own. I have the interest and probably the money, just need the time!

Ken
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Ken_C wrote:Good suggestion. I've been watching for a chance to try it in a class, but heck, maybe I should just give it a go on my own. I have the interest and probably the money, just need the time!
I understand that one! Well if you find the time, check out the reed making videos on pipers.ie (http://pipers.ie/source/section/?sectionId=133), the Hagerty book (http://pipers.ie/source/media/?sectionI ... diaId=9753), and Evertjan 't Hart's guide (http://www.hartdd.com/reedmaking/Intro.html). Another good reference for issues once you can make a working reed is http://upreeds.com.
Life is good.
Owardlaw
Tell us something.: Mostly a whistle player but I am looking to start flute soon. I have made a few PVC ones but can never get the tunning right!

Post by Owardlaw »

Youtube has great info. Especially looking for the videos where the pipers explain a bit.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

tommykleen wrote:Where are you in Midwest Canada? There are pipers in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg (I think), northern Minnesota, southern Minnesota, Northern Michigan, Detroit area, east/east-central Wisconsin, Chicago, etc. There will be pipers about at festivals in Saint Paul,MN and Milwaukee WI next month too. Maybe a pipe-about is in order?
Edmonton, Alberta.