Cillian O'Briain D Chanter Off-The-Knee E

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Cillian O'Briain D Chanter Off-The-Knee E

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Several years ago I acquired a Cillian O'Briain D chanter and am very pleased with it, except for the fact that I can't get a good and consistent off-the-knee E with it. I've communicated with a couple of people who play a COB set and they say that that note is prone to go into the high octave if too much pressure is applied to it. This is fine, except when I play regulator notes with it. Does anyone who play COB chanters have any alternate fingerings they use, or any advice to give regarding this? Thanks.
Last edited by Ceann Cromtha on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoff wooff

Re: Cillian O'Briain Off-The-Knee E

Post by geoff wooff »

Had'nt you better say what fingering you ARE using ?

I've never had a COB in my hands but I'm interested in the topic.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Hi Geoff! For an off-the-knee E, ring finger up, pinky down. (On-the-knee E: both ring finger and pinky up.)
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:Hi Geoff! For an off-the-knee E, ring finger up, pinky down. (On-the-knee E: both ring finger and pinky up.)

So you are looking for a Hard E , or perhaps just an open chanter ( legato) E ... Ok.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Yep!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Cillian O'Briain D Chanter Off-The-Knee E

Post by rorybbellows »

The quest for the perfect chanter continues.will we ever get there? NO . To play Uilleann pipes is to be human and human aren't perfect so why expect pipes to be.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:For an off-the-knee E, ring finger up, pinky down.
My COB chanter will yield an acceptable off-the-knee E with that fingering; a hair sharp, but the bottom two "hard" notes are supposed to be a touch sharp, eh? In any event, it doesn't jump octaves.

Does your chanter have a rush in it? Both Kieran O'Hare and Blackie O'Connell (both play COB sets) told me that pretty all much all of COB's chanters need a rush. Kieran's is a "broom straw" (fishing or trimmer line?) that goes all the way up the chanter. Blackie made a rush for the bottom of mine from the wrapper on a pack of fags.
Last edited by An Draighean on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

An Draighean wrote:
Ceann Cromtha wrote:For an off-the-knee E, ring finger up, pinky down.
My COB chanter will yield an acceptable off-the-knee E with that fingering; a hair sharp, but the bottom two "hard" notes are supposed to be a touch sharp, eh? In any event, it doesn't jump octaves.

Does your chanter have a rush in it? Both Kieran O'Hare and Blackie O'Connell (both play COB sets) told me that pretty all much all of COB's chanters need a rush. Kieran's is a "broom stick" (fishing or trimmer line?) that goes all the way up the chanter. Blackie made a rush for the bottom of mine from the wrapper on a pack of fags.
Thanks. I'll try this. I'd been told by a student of COB that a paperclip in the bell was all that was needed. Without a rush, the chanter is spot on in its tuning.