Darach de Brun R.I.P.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Darach de Brun R.I.P.

Post by Seanie »

Darach de Brun - piper, whistle player and tune smith died today.

Darach, who was tuning up at a gig this afternoon, keeled over with a massive heart attack and died a short while ago in hospital.

Both Darach and I started on the pipes together over thirty years ago. He was already a renowned whistle player and had written several tunes including the Maple Leaf and the Man of Aran.

He played in the group Oisin and was a regular player at gigs around Dublin.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

John
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Darach de Brun R.I.P.

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sorry to hear that John, totally unexpected, a real shocker.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Seanie wrote:Darach de Brun...had written several tunes including the Maple Leaf...
One of my favorites, and now I can have him in mind whenever I play it. Thanks for the information.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

More sad news. My condolences to Darach's family and friends
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, I'm so sad to hear this. He was such a sweet person; so enthusiastic and energetic. And he loved the music very much. I remember seeing him standing by a piano at the Milwaukee Irish Fest Summer School while some young musicians worked out a new tune he'd just written. As the music unfolded I watched his expression go from hopeful to delighted to quietly proud (and a little embarrassed by the tears that kept springing to his eyes). It was such a beautiful moment, as was the music. I felt blessed to have witnessed that, especially just starting out playing this stuff. I can't remember what the title ended up being, but I believe at that point he was calling it something like The Flowing Tide (not the hornpipe). He wrote me later with the name but I can't seem to find the note. IIRC it was going to be part of a suite on bees and bee colonies, maybe? (He seemed very interested in bee society.)

A good soul, great writer, kind and patient teacher, and a real credit to the music -- he was much too young to go so soon. :-( Peace to his friends and family.
Last edited by Cathy Wilde on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Cathy

I believe the piece of music was the Murmuring Tide.

John
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yes! That was it! Thank you so much, John. I remember making a tape recording of it (that's how long ago it was), and it was just gorgeous. I'm really sorry, and my sympathies to you all.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
craigh

Post by craigh »

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Darach's passing. He was a good friend and a fantastic whistle player, piper and composer. I met him at the Milwaukee Irish Fest Summer School in 2002 and we became quick friends (especially after getting thrown out of Bodolino's one night when they were trying to close). I have several recordings of Murmuring Tide including one with his band at the time (Darach de Brun Band) and another of Noel Rice's students from Chicago performing an arrangement by Noel Rice. I actually have many other field recordings and photos that I'll have to pull out to relive the great times I had with Darach. In 2005, I was even lucky enough to drag him and bandmate Gerry Byrne back to Madison, WI to share him with the local session (Mickey's Tavern at that time) for one memorable night of tunes. The next morning in my kitchen, Darach (pipes), Gerry (flute) and I (whistle) recorded a new tune of his, "Gathering of the Waters", that he wrote for the anniversary (25th?) of Irish Fest. I believe it was played on RnG in Ireland during one of the days of the festival. Other fond memories include getting a private tour at Harley-Davidson one year even though we didn't have a reservation - those Irish accents came in handy for sweet talking the receptionist. Then there were the hours he spent with me when I was first learning pipes...

We'll be playing a special set of "The Maple Leaf" and "Man of Aran" at our Wednesday session this week.

Rest in peace my friend...

Craig
Ballygo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ballygo »

Im very sad to hear this news. R.I.P.

B
Martin Preshaw 92
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Martin Preshaw 92 »

I was very saddened and shocked to learn of the passing of Darach de Brún. Darach was in my house just last week having a reed fitted to his pipes and we had subsequently swapped e-mails about a wedding gig I had passed onto him. He was hugely passionate about traditional music and lived to play his pipes and have a tune whenever the opportunity presented. Indeed, I had to scold him for when I was tuning and working on the reed he had a whistle in his mouth and was playing along with me. I really did love to see him coming though, and I would get an e-mail the night before confirming his visit:

“I’ll be there at 10.00 a.m Preshaw – have the kettle on.”

He was so full of life talking about his band Drantán, playing gigs and the new Bb project we were hatching out between us, I never for a second thought he would not be around in a very short time. I wish I had made more of our time together.

I was not the only one who enjoyed his company. Darach was a real gentleman, hugely affable and it was always just lovely to have him visit our home. Most piping visitors make a quick acknowledgement of my wife and family before spending the rest of the day talking pipes. Not so with Darach, he always had a huge hug for me on his arrival and an even bigger one for my wife. He then would walk our garden with her talking about plants, his garden in Clare, the varieties of clematis, heavenly blues and such they had in common and his addiction for buying plants. As much of his time would be shared with others in our home about their interests as was spent on uilleann pipes. My wife commented to him last week that he always brought the sunshine with him. It is pouring down in Fermanagh this morning.

Our sincere sympathies to Val and his lads.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

Martin and Irena Preshaw
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thank you for the lovely eulogy, Martin; it brings tears to my eyes. It totally aligns with my impression of him in the very little I knew him. I'm very sorry for your pain and such a loss.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Thread revival : In memory of Darach, I've just posted a recording on "Youtube" of him playing 2 of his own reels on whistle at the Willie Clancy week in 1980. Audio only, I'm afraid - no mobile phone cameras in those days.

https://youtu.be/hmtD871gq88
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hi Kenny

Many thanks for that. A trip down memory lane.

Cheers

John