New! 1848 Uilleann Piper prints on sale to support SWUP

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

New! 1848 Uilleann Piper prints on sale to support SWUP

Post by RLines »

Once again for 2018, the South Wales Uilleann Pipers Club has produced a limited run of 25 high quality prints of another previously unknown painting of an uilleann piper. The painting is by English artist Edward Robert Smythe (1810 - 1899). I purchased the original oil painting at auction earlier this year, and have donated its use to the Pipers Club as a fundraiser. The fine old painting shows a seated piper playing on a rocky hillside next to his dog. The painting is dated on the reverse 14 July 1848.

Born in Ipswich in 1810, Smythe was one of the foremost painters of the ‘Suffolk School’. He worked in Ipswich with other artists including Robert Burrows and his brother, Thomas. Smythe was elected to the Ipswich Society of Professional and Amateur Artists in 1832 and in 1840 moved to Norwich, where his work influenced several artists of the Norwich School. He exhibited his work at various venues including the Suffolk Fine Arts Association, the Ipswich Art Club, the Royal Academy and the British Institution, and his work attracted commissions from patrons including the Earl of Cardigan. Smythe died in July 1899 and is buried in Ipswich cemetery. A full write up and photo of the painting appears in the current issue of An Piobaire.

The reproductions are printed on heavy high quality art paper and are individually numbered by the Pipers Club. The print image measures 12” x 16” , the same as the original painting. There is an additional 2” white border around the image making them perfect for framing.

Prints are available for £25 plus and additional £5 for shipping. PM me here or email rhonndapiper[at]gmail[dot]com.

All proceeds go to support the activities of the South Wales Uilleann Pipers Club!!

My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Re: New! 1848 Uilleann Piper prints on sale to support SWUP

Post by RLines »

We still have some prints for sale for anyone interested.

Thanks to the Chiff members who have purchased prints already.
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

We still have a handful of prints left should anyone else be interested. Any remaining copies will be available for purchase at the South Wales Tionol on Sept 7th/8th in Pontypridd.

Thanks
My YouTube
michaelrdrane
Tell us something.: There's a club in my area and it's been really helpful to get advice from people there so I'm looking forward to being a part of the larger community here as well.

Post by michaelrdrane »

Got my print in the mail and it looks even better in person! Thanks!
RLines

Post by RLines »

Thank you! Glad you like it.

We still have a handful left after the tionol if anyone is interested.

Rick
My YouTube