What are Uilleann pipes? finally we know!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

What are Uilleann pipes? finally we know!

Post by rgouette »

excerpt from a local paper:

"He took up the uilleann pipes, basically the Irish version of Scottish bag pipes."

:o
geoff wooff

Re: What are Uilleann pipes? finally we know!

Post by geoff wooff »

Certainly gives one confidence as to the accuracy of informations found in the media. :really:
Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

Finally......some Real "Fake News"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Reminds me of the time someone was intently watching an uilleann piper play, after which came the question: "But where do you plug it in?"
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It's just another manifestation of the prevalent ignorant equation of bagpipes with the GHB... 'he plays uilleann pipes'... 'no, but I'm talking about the bagpipes!'
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Peter Duggan wrote:It's just another manifestation of the prevalent ignorant equation of bagpipes with the GHB... 'he plays uilleann pipes'... 'no, but I'm talking about the bagpipes!'
:lol:
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Just shows people's ignorance and how good a job the Scots have done in promoting just one of the more than 200 different types of Bagpipes that have existed.

At one time, perhaps not that long ago, many people in Europe associated the Italians with 'Bagpipes' as the itinerant pipers would rove about during the winter festivals playing at fairs and such in various countries.

There are about 10 different French bagpipes, most if not all are currently played.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

For the sake of argument... would you guys provide an equally succinct sentance that could have been used instead?

(I try to have the habit to not complain unless I can offer a better solution, and that is what I am hoping to elicit.)

So the parameters for a better suggestion should consider (1) audience and (2) available space. So based on rgouette’s profile, we should assume it is (1) Americans from Maine and (2) my assumption is that there is very little space is available for the remark.

Show me what you can do. 8)
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

These are my second favorite bagpipes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzh4VLLD5RI

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

rorybbellows wrote:These are my second favorite bagpipes
RORY
that's hilarious!!!
and awesome
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

excerpt from a local paper:

"He took up the uilleann pipes, basically the Irish version of Scottish bag pipes."
Well at least as I have seen the did not call them Scotch (hic) Pipes as have seen in print and the statement may actually be right if you take "Scottish" pipes to include the "Pastoral or New Bagpipe" sometimes known as the "Scottish Hybrid Union Pipe" courtesy of one W A Cocks
There are about 10 different French bagpipes, most if not all are currently played.
Lets see, Biniou Koz and Bras/Nouveau), Boha, Bodego/Craba, Cabrette, Chabrette, Cornemuse du Centre and all its variations e.g. Musette Bechonnet, Cornemuse of the Haut Loire, Baroque Musette (du Cour), Musette Gailard, Sac de Gemecs, Veuze …. yes at least 10 Geoff and many more coming out the woodwork such the Cornemuse from Picardy, Cornemuse de Poitiou and of course a number of makers in France both native and expat now producing the Uilleann pipes - should these be renamed the French Uilleann Pipes? :devil:
Last edited by Chris Bayley on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Chris Bayley wrote:...Cornemuse de Poitiou and of course a number of makers in France both native and expat now producing the Uilleann pipes - should these be renamed the French Uilleann Pipes? :devil:
perhaps... Yoolian de France....

:poke:
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Chris Bayley wrote:
...Cornemuse de Poitiou and of course a number of makers in France both native and expat now producing the Uilleann pipes - should these be renamed the French Uilleann Pipes?

perhaps... Yoolian de France....
Excellent idea :D

For anyone who can then "Le Son Continu" (The relocated old St Chartier) music festival is well worth visiting - http://www.lesoncontinu.fr/ with around 140 makers of mostly drone instruments showing their instruments in a woodland setting in the grounds of the Chateau d'Ars and also the Musee at Montlucon which has a good number of different bagpipes on show.... even the rare Scottish Highland Bagpipe
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

In addition to the astute observations put forth thus far, I offer up this
rare photo of the only bagpipe native and indigenous to the USA:

elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

rorybbellows wrote:These are my second favorite bagpipes

RORY

Is the piper's mustache painted on....?
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com