CP: "Uilleann" iPad app now with MIDI Chanter support!

Oxymorons "R" Us
Forum rules
Please see forum announcement for description and rules!
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP: "Uilleann" iPad app now with MIDI Chanter support!

Post by eskin »

Some very exciting news, inspired by the upcoming release of the Fagerström Technopipes Uilleann model!

I've added the ability to control my iPad "Uilleann" app from MIDI chanters and other MIDI controllers!

The new version adds two additional controls available by touching on the the MIDI icon at the lower left of the screen. The first sets the MIDI channel (1-16) of the MIDI controller, the other sets the transpose of the controller so that the lowest note is MIDI note 62 (D above middle-C). Both values are saved so you only have to do this once. After that, plug in your Technopipes via an hardware MIDI interface (I'm using the older iRig MIDI from IK Multimedia), fire up the Uilleann app and start playing!

Drone control is done by sending any MIDI Note-On message (note < 80) on MIDI channel 15. The drone will turn on and stay on until it receives a matching MIDI Note-Off message for the note number.

Version 8.0.2 for iPad was just approved by Apple and is a free update for current owners, $4.99 for new purchase. An iPhone version is in the works and should be out by June 1.

Here's a demo video showing the Uilleann app being controlled by the upcoming Fagerström Technopipes Uilleann model first playing a bit of a jig with the app in concert pitch D, then shifting the app down to B and playing an air:

https://youtu.be/E8YlROab7xw

Of course you can still play the iPad app manually:

https://youtu.be/O0DSPw75krM

Cheers and thanks,

Michael
eskin

Re: CP: "Uilleann" iPad app now with MIDI Chanter support!

Post by eskin »

Releasing an iPhone version of the "Uilleann" app with hardware MIDI chanter support for the Fagerstrom Uilleann Technopipes and other similar devices.

Based on my old "UilleannKeys" app, which will be renamed "Uilleann for iPhone". The app supports playing in D, C#, C, or B, and has two regulators as well.

Demo video with my iPhone X. I don't have the splitter adapter that lets you use a Lightning device and take audio out at the same time, so the audio on the video is just recorded from the iPhone X speakers:

https://youtu.be/jTDNpGxt7rw

Will be a free update to those currently with the app, $4.99 for new purchase.
lucky141
antispam: No

Post by lucky141 »

Will the midi feature be added to the classic chanter app? This is the version I have..
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Fantastic! As a player who finds the V Pipes a fantastic learning tool, mainly due to the headphones option, I am excited by any development like this.
Nanook69
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Starting to play the low whistle,highland piper starting a new musicical adventure
Would like to play the Irish pipes someday if I get the low whistle down and learn to use bellows

Post by Nanook69 »

Any idea when the technopipes will be coming out and where they can purchased at.
eskin

Post by eskin »

My understanding from Anders is they will be available for purchase in June. Not sure of the price. I would contact him directly as far as where to buy one when they are available:

Anders Fagerström Electronics
Anundsgatan 8
SE-753 34 Uppsala
SWEDEN

Phone +46 70 523 55 98
e-mail anders@fagerstrom.com
eskin

Post by eskin »

eskin

Post by eskin »

A quick demo of Anders Fagerström testing out the new finger vibrato features of his upcoming Uilleann Technopipes electronic bagpipes chanter with my latest version of Uilleann for iPad that supports MIDI pitch bending. The iPhone version of my app also supports pitch bending.

https://youtu.be/tfiPjOT0VdM
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Nice work Anders and Michael! :thumbsup:
I have always wanted something useful but much simpler than the V-pipes that I can use when the rest of the house is sleeping or on long business trips and I think this might be it!
Just got a response from Anders that he is now ready to take orders so I went ahead and ordered one.
If it's going to be a rainy summer at least I'll be prepared. :D

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!