It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:32 am 

AaronFW wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:
Me

I’m not familiar enough with the Simpsons to find the character depicted in your avatar, but I imagine the cover with you may look something like this:

:lol:

That picture actually bears a striking resemblance to my family after finals week!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 am 

Actually this would be closer to what I look like .

RORY

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:26 am 

john wrote:
For recognition of their contribution to uilleann piping, perhaps someone who's hosted a piping club for many years and has welcomed newcomers and helped players to progress. Perhaps for want of a better phrase unsung heroes. Such a person I heard about recently is Noel Devine in Belfast who's helped many upcoming pipers, another I know of is Edwin Spring who has helped to advance piping in the south-west of England, and Tim O'Dowd of London as well. However, I appreciate that putting someone on the cover is not just about honouring 'worthies', or again, high-profile players, since it also shows a range of players of all ages and at different stages of learning.

I get you.

I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 am 

rorybbellows wrote:

RORY

Someone needs to photo-shop a low D being brandished in that fist of his :lol: .

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:22 am 

BigBpiper wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:

RORY

Someone needs to photo-shop a low D being brandished in that fist of his :lol: .

I was seriously tempted to. I was going to make it look like an An Piobaire cover too... but I decided it wasn’t spending my relatively little time off photoshopping Homer Simpson.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:15 am 

AaronFW wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:
Me

I’m not familiar enough with the Simpsons to find the character depicted in your avatar ...

Rory Bellows is the new identity that Krusty the clown assumed after he faked his own death.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 am 

Pierre wrote:
I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.

They do hold a lot of events in Dublin, but their premises are there and they're at least partly funded by Dublin City Council, so I'd have expected it up to a point. Does anyone else really get the impression the NPU doesn't care about what's going on outside Dublin?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:10 pm 

myles wrote:
Pierre wrote:

They do hold a lot of events in Dublin, but their premises are there and they're at least partly funded by Dublin City Council, so I'd have expected it up to a point. Does anyone else really get the impression the NPU doesn't care about what's going on outside Dublin?

What about The Willie Clancy Week in Miltown Malbay every year ? That is NOT Dublin !

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:34 pm 

Quote:

In my experience as co-Chair of the South Wales Uilleann Pipers Club, this comment is uninformed to say the least.

As a small club in a part of the world with no uilleann piping tradition, holding a tionol here in the last few years would simply not have been possible without NPU's support. As to the original topic of the thread, a photo of long-time club member Eddie Brophy performing at our last tionol graces the cover of the November 2017 issue of AP.

The South Wales Pipers are very grateful for NPU's sustained support for our activities and our efforts to build piping in our region.

Rick

Last edited by RLines on Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:09 pm 

“I don't think anybody at N.P.U. cares much for what happens outside of Dublin, so those people you mention might as well live on another planet.l

And you base this stupid assertion on what exactly? Some depth of experience perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 am 

Pierre, you are so uninformed. N.P.U recently made its online resources available to members, AND NON-Members alike. For free.

They provide funding assistance to uilleann pipers clubs all over the world to hold tionols etc.

I wonder if they ever recoupe the cost of the publications/recorded material they commision, that so many find so useful and enjoyable.

There is plenty more benefits that reach out to all pipers.