St. Patrick's Day: Hymns/Tunes for Roman Catholic Mass

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

St. Patrick's Day: Hymns/Tunes for Roman Catholic Mass

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Since St. Patrick's Day falls on a Sunday in 2019, I'm planning to play at or after church next year. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hymns and/or tunes appropriate for a Roman Catholic mass? I did searches and found some information for religious settings, but not specifically for a Catholic liturgy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mr.Gumby

Re: St. Patrick's Day: Hymns/Tunes for Roman Catholic Mass

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Be Thou My Vision.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

The King of Love my Shepherd Is, also called St. Columba's hymn. If you are playing during Mass, this might work particularly for during offertory, or as a Communion meditation. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers!
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

What about Caoineadh na dTrí Mhuire?
There's a lovely video out on the web of Joe John Mac Con Iomaire singing the verse, with a small men's chorus, and as icing on the cake Sean McKiernan plays pipes for a couple choruses. :thumbsup:
It was on youtube, but now the easiest place to find it is http://www.dailymotion.com.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
altoclef

Post by altoclef »

The "usual" setting of Salve Regina (DFABA...) works quite well as an air on the pipes.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thank you all for your kind and considered responses!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Just be aware that the Mass itself is a somewhat hermetically-sealed thing with an unchangeable format.

Anything that occurs during the Mass has to be part of the Mass and is decided by the Liturgist.

There are Mass settings, and usually all of the main musical bits are drawn from the same setting, say The Mass Of Creation for example.

So the musician can't just play anything he pleases.

Now there are points duing the Mass where it's more open, say during Communion, or during the Offertory.

Still the expectation is that anything played during the Mass will be sacred music.

Before and after the Mass pretty much anything can be played, depending on the whims of the Priest. I've yet to find an Irish Priest here in the USA who didn't approve of me playing Fields Of Athenry! And other Irish songs and airs.

Due to the musical capabilities of the uilleann pipes you can play pretty much any Mass setting, any Hymn. There are thousands of Hymns, any of them can be played for Masses, pretty much.

One unusual aspect of the Roman Catholic Church is that there's no one-and-only official Hymnal.

Playing for LDS services, Episcopal services, United Methodist services etc is easy because each of these denominations has a single official Hymnal. I have all the Hymnals and you just play stuff out of them, you're good to go. Most denominations are like that, they have committees who put together their official Hymnals. If you walk into a church of most denominations you know what you're going to hear: it's going to be out of their Hymnal.

Catholics aren't like that. Anybody can publish a "Catholic Hymnal". Here in the USA there are two major firms each of which publishes several different Catholic Hymnals. You'll hear pretty much anything, I know, I've been doing church gigs for 40 years.

If you're going to be serious about doing church gigs it behooves you to learn the church idiom- it's like any other musical genre, that way.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

pancelticpiper wrote: Now there are points duing the Mass where it's more open, say during Communion, or during the Offertory.

Still the expectation is that anything played during the Mass will be sacred music.
Yes, I remember Offertory and Communion at my old parish was somewhat of a free-for-all :lol: . It's not quite the same at my current parish (still Roman Catholic, mind you), as they try to perform something appropriate to either the feast day or the Liturgy of the Word. Even still, though, they are able to push the envelope a bit. In any case, like I said in my earlier post, some hymns during Offertory and/or Communion should be perfectly respectable.
Cheers!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Drowsy Maggie
Tell us something.: I've been playing the whistles and uilleann pipes for quite a few years now. I'd like to keep abreast of developments and current discussions. Thanks!

Post by Drowsy Maggie »

I'm an RC priest, so might jump in for my two cents worth.

It's true that the sung parts of the Mass are fixed, but there is a fair bit of latitude for instrumental interludes. I'm a bit biased, but I'd say the pipes are well suited to the liturgy (if we're talking airs, rather than jigs and reels!) as they can be very meditative and uplifting. If played well!

I could start with a rant about "liturgical music" which is barely religious let alone liturgical, and about the poor deluded musicians that inflict their bad taste on their long-suffering coparishioners. Maybe some other time on some other forum.

If a piper came to me to ask what to play, I would suggest to play nothing that is known as secular songs (Danny Boy, etc.). I'd suggest to pick a sean nós air that no-one (in the congregation) knows and that will really raise them up (not à la Josh Grobin!).

Feel free to email me if you have any questions, and I'll be glad to help from a liturgical perspective: brendan.arthur AT cam.org.au
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thank you all again for your help. Fr. Brendan, I just sent you a PM.