Rogge's "C" tuning slides

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Seamie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Rogge's "C" tuning slides

Post by Seamie »

Hi.....
Anyone have any experience with Andreas Rogge's C tuning slides for D drones? You know- like how they work, etc?
Waiting to hear back from the man himself, but he's busy making stuff vis. answering emails (thankfully)
Thanks all
Seam
daveboling

Re: Rogge's "C" tuning slides

Post by daveboling »

Considering the extra length required to make a D drone drop to C, I would imagine that he has enlongated the tuning joint to allow the drone to be flattened all the way to C. The extra cost you are paying is for the work required to make the exaggerated tenons and sockets.
I would think the trick would be to make a reed that would be happy at both pitches. If memory serves (and it often does NOT), a drone reed should sound, when air is drawn through it with the mouth, at the dominant. It seems you would have to make a reed that was happy around the dominant of C# (G#), and hope it was flexible enough to be stable at C and D. I haven't made enough drone reeds to know if such an idea is feasible, or desirable.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Considering the extra length required to make a D drone drop to C, I would imagine that he has enlongated the tuning joint to allow the drone to be flattened all the way to C
Not necessarily, Matt Kiernan used to make C/D drones, essentially C drones but with a hole drilled at the point where they sounded D. The hole could be opened/closed by means of a sliding ferrule. I don't know if that's the Rogge slide although I do seem to remember AR learned some stuff off MK.

Eugene Lambe made something similar, he used to play a set known as the AC/DC set.
My brain hurts

Seamie
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

Post by Seamie »

Thanks all.
I appreciate the info. Being neither an engineer or pipe maker, I though I could just somehow lengthen the overall ariway of the drones- especially as I'm only dropping a half step. But the possible reed issue....hmmmmmm
I'll keep digging'

Thanks again
Seamus
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Stick a drinking straw in the end of the drone .Voila

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Seamie

Post by Seamie »

.........tried that, but ended up getting some left over Ovaltine onto the reeds.......c'est dommage