How big is your repertoire?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
john

Re: How big is your repertoire?

Post by john »

yes, flute - i'm not 100% sure about my estimate, although recently i've been trying to compile a list as a reference/aide-memoire which will hopefully provide a more accurate figure
Aldwyn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

About 6 songs, thanks to my instructor. :)

But I have only been playing a little over a year... give me time!

Now, if you count guitar, several hundred.
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The size of repertoire of some of the regular session players amazes me.

I used to go to a two-week music camp every summer, with big sessions every night, and oftentimes I wouldn't hear a certain tune again for the whole camp. Each night's session would go on, what, 8 hours or so?

When the massive size of these people's repertoires fully struck me was one night when they got onto playing nothing but polkas in D. They played them for an hour or so, polkas in D, each one played three times. Not sure how many it was, but it was a ton!

Another night they got onto playing nothing but tunes in B minor. They played loads of reels, but when it came to jigs they seemed to be stumped. Then a fiddler went into a "big" jig in D (four parts, I think) that had the last part in B minor, which I learned and still play (though nobody else seems to know it around here).

One way to get a sense of what are the most commonly played session tunes is to go onto thesession and rank the tens of thousands of tunes there by most commonly included in member's tunebooks. I did that once. Of the 100 most-common tunes I knew all but a couple, and of the next 100 I knew 80 or so... yet I can sit in a session for hours and not hear a single tune I know!

I think it's hard to maintain a big repertoire unless you regularly attend sessions. What I did was to write out the first 2 bars of every tune I knew and put these music-sheets in a practice folder and play through all the tunes as often as I could. The problem then was that there are loads of reels in A minor that have very similar 2nd parts! So I had to write out the beginning of the 2nd parts too, on those. Ditto several reels in D Major.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

pancelticpiper wrote:The size of repertoire of some of the regular session players amazes me.

I used to go to a two-week music camp every summer, with big sessions every night, and oftentimes I wouldn't hear a certain tune again for the whole camp. Each night's session would go on, what, 8 hours or so?

When the massive size of these people's repertoires fully struck me was one night when they got onto playing nothing but polkas in D. They played them for an hour or so, polkas in D, each one played three times. Not sure how many it was, but it was a ton!

Another night they got onto playing nothing but tunes in B minor. They played loads of reels, but when it came to jigs they seemed to be stumped. Then a fiddler went into a "big" jig in D (four parts, I think) that had the last part in B minor, which I learned and still play (though nobody else seems to know it around here).

One way to get a sense of what are the most commonly played session tunes is to go onto thesession and rank the tens of thousands of tunes there by most commonly included in member's tunebooks. I did that once. Of the 100 most-common tunes I knew all but a couple, and of the next 100 I knew 80 or so... yet I can sit in a session for hours and not hear a single tune I know!

I think it's hard to maintain a big repertoire unless you regularly attend sessions. What I did was to write out the first 2 bars of every tune I knew and put these music-sheets in a practice folder and play through all the tunes as often as I could. The problem then was that there are loads of reels in A minor that have very similar 2nd parts! So I had to write out the beginning of the 2nd parts too, on those. Ditto several reels in D Major.

Indeed, I think the more sessions you go to, the better your ear develops?

There is one pub near me which has sessions, maybe I could hop over there just to listen. Since I play a C# set I'd probably just sit back & listen. :thumbsup:

Although I do have a whistle in C, and they do have "Open mic" nights. Hmmm...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

It's not the size that matters... it's what you do with it :thumbsup:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:It's not the size that matters... it's what you do with it :thumbsup:
For sure if there's a player who sits quietly for hours then unleashes one mighty tune everyone will think "now there's a massive player!".

If a players blasts away at every tune all night, the ones he has down and the ones he doesn't, regardless, one might go away thinking "that's not much of a player".

Yet usually (as it seems to me) it's the best players that have the largest repertoires, and who know the currently-trendy tunes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yet usually (as it seems to me) it's the best players that have the largest repertoires, and who know the currently-trendy tunes.
Or who determine what the currently-trendy tunes are, because they play them so well, everyone else wants to learn them.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

pancelticpiper wrote: it's the best players that have the largest repertoires.
Theres always an exception , famously Eddie( the kid) Joyce had a small repertoire ,but the tunes he did play he played brilliantly .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:It's not the size that matters... it's what you do with it :thumbsup:
Yea! That David Power fella is allways going on about his 18 inch Moloney . But saying that least he knows how to use it.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .