Keenan interview on NPR

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
j dasinger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Keenan interview on NPR

Post by j dasinger »

There was a short interview with Paddy Keenan on today's "All Things Considered" on NPR. You can hear it on their webpage www.npr.org
there's a link that says "Paddy Keenan" to the right on the front page. After today, you'll probably have to go to the "All Things Considered" archive section to hear it.
James
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

That was an enjoyable interview, but it reminded me of the only time I have seen Paddy Keenan perform.

It was during the Celtic Connections festival in Glasgow some years ago. There was a piping concert on the Saturday afternoon featuring various names from highland, Northumbrian and Uillean piping circles, and Paddy was headlining.

However, some of the other performers ran over time and Paddy didn't get on until around the time that the concert was due to end. About 2 or 3 sets into his performance, the sound was cut and the lights came on - concert over. Well, there was near mutiny in the ranks and a lot of unhappy punters. I certainly felt robbed of the opportunity to hear more from such a player.

What this showed me, however, was the lack of appreciation that the management had for the stature of Paddy. Would they have turned on the lights if Pavarotti had gone over time? (I've heard Pavarotti's not much of a piper, though - can't get the strap round his waist) Yet, surely Paddy shares the same staure in the field of piping as Pavarotti does in opera.

Just thought I'd share this shameful story from Glasgow's murky past.

Cheers

Graham