Uilleann piping tunebooks

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Uilleann piping tunebooks

Post by ennischanter »

I am trying to expand my repertoire & I am thinking about acquiring perhaps a tune-book.

Are there any music books out there catered to uilleann pipers? If so have you tried them, and which one(s) would you recommend?

Thanks...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Uilleann piping tunebooks

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Joe Doyle's book, Music for the Iirsh Pipes will be the best fit for you, I think. :thumbsup:
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

ennischanter wrote:I am trying to expand my repertoire & I am thinking about acquiring perhaps a tune-book.

Are there any music books out there catered to uilleann pipers? If so have you tried them, and which one(s) would you recommend?

Thanks...
One of my favorites is the "Collection of Pipe-friendly Tunes", published by the Seattle Uilleann Pipers Club. The problem is, they are notoriously difficult to communicate with and obtain a copy. Here is their web site: http://irishpipersclub.org/
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

There is a booklet called "the Camden Breeze" formerly available through the London Uilleann Pipers' Club - has a lot of decent tunes and variations if you can get your hands on a copy.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Joe Doyle's book, Music for the Iirsh Pipes will be the best fit for you, I think. :thumbsup:
Excellent, I shall check that one out, perhaps I will purchase.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

I got the John Doyle book at Christmas and its definitely worth getting.
I very much doubt you'll regret buying it.

Iain
tomlynch

Post by tomlynch »

myles wrote:There is a booklet called "the Camden Breeze" formerly available through the London Uilleann Pipers' Club - has a lot of decent tunes and variations if you can get your hands on a copy.

Edwin Spring (who produced the booklets Camden Breeze and Camden Breeze Supplement) kindly gave London UP club permission to reprint copies for club members. To obtain a copy it should be possible to contact Edwin via SWAUP http://www.swaup.org/. Nice books, hand written. A5 format can prove tricky to follow for those with poor eyesight. Edwin was working on a project to make them A4 best contact him to see what he has.
tomlynch