cover pictures in An Piobaire

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
john

cover pictures in An Piobaire

Post by john »

This is probably a slightly odd question. Which piper(s) do you consider most deserving of a cover picture in An Piobaire who hasn't yet had this honour? (that's not to say that anyone who has already been on the cover didn't deserve the honour). I'd imagine most of the high profile pipers around have been featured but I may be wrong in this assumption, although obviously the cover photograph is not just there to honour the Ronan Bowne's, Mick O'Briens, Liam O'Flynns etc.
BigBpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Re: cover pictures in An Piobaire

Post by BigBpiper »

Hello!
Just a question, are you looking for a younger, up-and-coming piper, or a more seasoned player? I must say I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the uilleann piping world, but two young musicians that are pretty high-profile would include Louise Mulcahy and Tara Howley (the latter being from Riverdance). I'm definitely no judge as far as "good" uilleann piping is concerned, but I believe both of these ladies have won All-Ireland Fleadh Cheoil titles on either the uilleann pipes or their other instruments. Just a couple suggestions that came to mind.
Cheers!
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Louise Mulcahy has been on the cover.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:Louise Mulcahy has been on the cover.
I'd like to see her on page three.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

The covers seem to feature a broad spectrum of players: young and old, unheardofs and the uber-famous. I think that's a good thing.
Something to bear in mind is that publications like this go to press well in advance of when they show up in your mailbox.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Has Chris McMullan had the honour yet?
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:Louise Mulcahy has been on the cover.
Oh, oops. Haha, Sorry about that! Like I said, I'm completely ignorant on the subject. :D
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I didn't mean for that to sound smart... I actually was worried that it might. If it did, I'm sorry. I just remember her being on the cover once.

I agree with Tommykleen: I like the variety of the focus of the NPU journal. We are so lucky that NPU, a.k.a "the Mother Ship" exists. :thumbsup:
BigBpiper

Post by BigBpiper »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:I didn't mean for that to sound smart... I actually was worried that it might. If it did, I'm sorry. I just remember her being on the cover once.
No you're fine. I wasn't the least offended at all. :)
JordanMcConnell
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Post by JordanMcConnell »

Has Jarlath Henderson been on there yet?
Pierre
Tell us something.: Hi there. I noticed that this seems to be a popular forum for uilleann pipes, which is my main musical interest. I would be hoping to be able to add the odd post here and there in time and take part in some discussions where possible. If you were able to add me to your list for this purpose, then that would be great. Thank you. Marie

Post by Pierre »

john wrote:This is probably a slightly odd question. Which piper(s) do you consider most deserving of a cover picture in An Piobaire who hasn't yet had this honour? (that's not to say that anyone who has already been on the cover didn't deserve the honour). I'd imagine most of the high profile pipers around have been featured but I may be wrong in this assumption, although obviously the cover photograph is not just there to honour the Ronan Bowne's, Mick O'Briens, Liam O'Flynns etc.
Why do you feel somebody might be "most deserving of a cover picture"?
john

Post by john »

For recognition of their contribution to uilleann piping, perhaps someone who's hosted a piping club for many years and has welcomed newcomers and helped players to progress. Perhaps for want of a better phrase unsung heroes. Such a person I heard about recently is Noel Devine in Belfast who's helped many upcoming pipers, another I know of is Edwin Spring who has helped to advance piping in the south-west of England, and Tim O'Dowd of London as well. However, I appreciate that putting someone on the cover is not just about honouring 'worthies', or again, high-profile players, since it also shows a range of players of all ages and at different stages of learning.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Bill Ochs.
In Memoriam.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Me

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

rorybbellows wrote:Me
I’m not familiar enough with the Simpsons to find the character depicted in your avatar, but I imagine the cover with you may look something like this: