Liam O`Flynn R.I.P

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ballygo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Liam O`Flynn R.I.P

Post by Ballygo »

Im so sad to learn of the death of the great Liam O`Flynn. Its because of him I first picked up the pipes, and his influence will live on for future generations. R.I.P.
Chino

Re: Liam O`Flynn R.I.P

Post by Chino »

Very sad news indeed. RIP. :(
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Goodbye Liam, you inspired many and piping wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for you.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by geoff wooff »

rorybbellows wrote:Goodbye Liam, you inspired many and piping wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for you.

RORY
Very true Rory. A sad day indeed. :(
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It was seeing Ennis in 1971 or so that got me interested but it was Liam O'Flynn's playing during Planxty's 'After the break' tour that pushed me over the edge, so to speak.
My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Sad news indeed. An inspiring piper. I only met Liam once at the Tönder Folk Festival in Denmark some years ago. He was very kind and showed me his Rowsome set after he had performed on stage. At least I got to thank him for his music.
R.I.P. Liam
kenr

Post by kenr »

I can only echo all the praise and regret at Liam's death. I first met him in 1978 at a local folk club, shared breakfast with him the next morning at the friends house where we were all staying. Saw him often enough over the years either solo, in duets with Paddy Glackin or Matt Molloy and the various incarnations of Planxty.

He was a generous and humble man and we are lucky to have such a fine recorded legacy to keep his playing as a constant inspiration.

RIP Liam,

Ken
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...devastated.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Another treasure lost.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Ballygo wrote:Im so sad to learn of the death of the great Liam O`Flynn. Its because of him I first picked up the pipes, and his influence will live on for future generations. R.I.P.
Me too! First heard him (in Planxty) in 1975; I've never been the same since.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I am sure all of us on this forum will have personal stories that show the influence of Liam og O'Flynn.

For me it started in the early 1970's when the band I played in was heavily influenced by Planxty; guitar, mandolin and bouzuki with me on Concertina , Pipes were just a dream , Unobtainium at that time.

But here I am 45 years later... a life dedictated to the Pipes ever since.

Thanks Liam ! RIP.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am sure all of us on this forum will have personal stories that show the influence of Liam og O'Flynn.
First I heard him was in 1971 or so when he played with Matt Molloy. I have barely any recollection of it though, Ennis' presence on the night has taken over the memory. But the 1979 Planxty concerts set off the whole thing that eventually led to me sitting here typing in a cold dampish cottage.

But there was piping at the Willie week, I recorded him playing in 1983-ish and I went over every note on the tape. One of the Tionols in Ennistymon, Liam playing away and passing the newly restored Ennis set around (and the frustration of several people making a better fist of playing it than I did). The music in the church when Martin Rochford was laid to rest. The first Planxty re-union concerts in Ennis, the crowd erupting each time the pipes came in. Summer nights in Friel's or the call coming to say 'we'll be in Friel's around seven, in B, don't tell anyone but be there'. All that and so much more.

My brain hurts

PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

Heartbroken. Truly a legend. The Chieftains were the first ones to really introduce me to Irish Trad/Folk, but Planxty was the group that made me say "I have to play this music". They were like a bomb that went off in my music world. I went from being the guy playing the electric guitar in a rock band to the guy squeaking and squawking on the tin whistle and driving my wife mad listening to Irish Trad nonstop to try to learn this music. Liam og O'Flynn was a huge part of that. I never got to see him play in person or meet him like some others, but his playing has left an indelible mark on my life and influence on my playing. RIP Liam.
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

He was my inspiration for taking up uilleann pipes. Pancelticpiper loaned me the vinyl record of Planxty's The Well Below the Valley around 1978 when we were in college and it stuck in my mind.... and I had to learn to play. His playing and sound is the icon of uilleann piping to me.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

Too Young. His music will last forever. Very sad news.