Wedding/Funeral tunes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hooleh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Wedding/Funeral tunes?

Post by Hooleh »

Hi all,

I really like the idea of the sound of pipes in these events, be it myself playing (some time in the distant future) or someone playing for me. I'd be interested in hearing your ideas of suitable tunes for both kinds of event, and possibly your favourite instruments to accompany the pipes.
Furtehrmore, do you personally think it's necessary to have a flat set for a mellower tone in these events, or would you be comfortable playing/hearing a concert pitch set, too?
Aldwyn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Re: Wedding/Funeral tunes?

Post by Aldwyn »

I would imagine any air would work at a funeral. But here in the USA, Amazing Grace is almost a requirement for any piper at a funeral!
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
Chino

Post by Chino »

The piper/flutist Ronan Browne is an expert in wedding tunes:

http://www.ronanbrowne.com/weddings/Iri ... /Home.html
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Its got to be concert pitch all the way. In general people dont like flat pitched pipes and if up turn up at such an event with flat pitch pipes you may very well be asked ,where are your proper sounding pipes?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

I play for funerals of family and friends. A list of my personal favorites for these occasions:

The Wild Geese
An Bonnán Buí
Port Na Bpúcaí
The Green Fields of Canada
Caoineadh Uí Néill
Anach Cuain
Cuimhne an Phíobaire
The Blackbird
The Dear Irish Boy
Cailín Crúite Na mBó
Bean Dubh A' Gleanna

There are many more slow airs that I am in the process of learning/would like to learn.
Sean-nós singers are a treasure trove of airs suitable for pipes (some of the above on my list came directly from hearing them sung).

As far as accompaniment that you asked about, most slow airs (and Sean-nós songs) are typically played solo, without it. As it happens, my wife has de-tuned one of her harps so that she can (more easily) play with one of my flat sets, but so far all my funeral performances have been just solo pipes.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

A tune that might be suitable for both:
"I Buried My Wife And Danced On Top Of Her" :D