New pipemaker

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MichaelLoos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

New pipemaker

Post by MichaelLoos »

There seems to be a new pipemaker in Northern Ireland - does anybody know him or maybe has already seen some of his work?
http://tamnaveltonpipes.com/
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: New pipemaker

Post by rorybbellows »

The practice set seem like good value, all the site needs are some sound samples.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Looks like nice clean craftsmanship.

To me it's all about how well the chanter & reed work. Yes sound samples would be great.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

I've sent an email to inquire about a sound file or YouTube video. Once I hear back, I'll also pass on to you guys any sound file/video I receive.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

I'd suggest that, if you've asked for something privately, you shouldn't share it here without permission. Unless you're asking him to upload something public, in which case it's obviously OK. But perhaps that's what you meant anyway?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
myles

Post by myles »

There are actually a couple of Youtube videos.

I'm not really sure the average website sound clip is that helpful beyond highlighting obvious tuning issues. You'll only get a decent idea of the sound and any playing quirks in person - even that has some environmental elements.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Peter Duggan wrote:I'd suggest that, if you've asked for something privately, you shouldn't share it here without permission. Unless you're asking him to upload something public, in which case it's obviously OK. But perhaps that's what you meant anyway?
That is a good word.
Yes, here is my original email;
Greetings!
I learned about Tamnavelton Pipes through a recent post on the Chiff & Fipple Forum (specifically this post on the viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106262 the Uilleann Pipes sub-forum).

I personally am not in a place to buy a set of pipes, but a few pipers there expressed that they'd be interested in hearing sound samples of your pipes. Do you have any sound samples or YouTube videos that could be posted on your website? Also, if you share any sound samples or YouTube videos, I will also share it with the guys at the forum.

Thanks!
Aaron Walton
I figured they’d be interested to know we were talking about them and that potential customers could learn about them here.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

myles wrote:There are actually a couple of Youtube videos.
Can you post a link to those vids ,thanks

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

myles wrote: There are actually a couple of Youtube videos.
Well I just went on YouTube and searched "Tamnavelton" and "tamnaveltonpipes" and got 0 results.

"Neil Speers" got loads of results- but it's a different Neil Speers, a guitarist, a rather older fellow.

So if this Neil Speers has YouTube videos, he's avoided using his name and the Tamnavelton name.
myles wrote: I'm not really sure the average website sound clip is that helpful beyond highlighting obvious tuning issues. You'll only get a decent idea of the sound and any playing quirks in person - even that has some environmental elements.
So true. I think YouTube videos are next to worthless to show how an instrument plays.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

Regarding sound samples...

Neil from Tamnavelton pipes has written me back. He says "I am currently working on getting a few good quality sound samples on to the website.. When it's finished I will email you to let you know.."

And then, I will, in turn, let you guys know.

I agree, sound samples or Youtube videos are not the best, but they are better than nothing.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Excited to see what the future holds for this maker
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.