Boxwood blight

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uillmann
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Boxwood blight

Post by uillmann »

This is bad news for the future of boxwood. It has reached our suburban garden in the D.C. area.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/documen ... -08-11.pdf
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Boxwood blight

Post by Pipewort »

Then, as kindly put as possible, remove and burn all of the infected plant, and perhaps others. This is unless some treatment is available of course.

I guess it will only slow things down, but...
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

That's unfortunate news, however you slice it. All the tropical woods are, one by one, showing up on CITES lists. Timbers that were safe a decade ago are no longer safe now, and this WILL affect the resale value of your flute. Box was one of the only safe timbers: it's not being overharvested in corrupt asian, african, or south american nations. Thus far, flutes made of boxwood alone are welcome everywhere. A plague on boxwood is unwelcome indeed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Its getting nearer the time when pipes will be made of plastic .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

My smallpipes were made out of delrin two decades ago and while there might be little romance in it, they play just fine and will outlast me. It's not great fun to turn by hand, but in this CNC age I'm sure someone will grasp the nettle soon enough.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Calum wrote:My smallpipes were made out of delrin two decades ago and while there might be little romance in it, they play just fine and will outlast me. It's not great fun to turn by hand, but in this CNC age I'm sure someone will grasp the nettle soon enough.
And there's 3D printing. There are already one or two examples on youtube, I think. There can be problems with the accuracy of some dimensions and quality of finish but I understand these issues can be sorted by using high quality machines along with the right "recipe" for the printer plastic.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
elbowmusic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I'm pretty sure we can find suitable woods for pipes for many years to come. Keep calm. ;)
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com