The Parting Glass solo ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glasba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

The Parting Glass solo ?

Post by glasba »

Hi,

A friend of mine organizes the Irish night concert in the local high school and one of the songs the students will perform is The Parting glass. He sent me the YouTube link and asked me to learn the solo. I just listened it and I found out the solo on original is played with Scottish bagpipes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgboqZNduF0 the pipes starts at 2.32

I was thinking how to make it playable with D chanter and I looks to me the only solution I came up is lowering the overall pitch for 1/2 note - I did that with Transcribe and I was able to play with chanter along, but the solo starts with back D and is moustly in 2nd octave :(

Any other idea what to do - how to play it, change it? Mybe I will need to suggest some other piece and learn that solo.

Any thoughts, suggestions???

Thanks!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Parting Glass solo ?

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Glasba

My favorite singers of the Parting Glass are The Voice Squad

Has your friend said in what key the singers are going to perform the song?. That will tell you what transposition work you will need to do.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Is it a high school brass and reed band? I did a version of that last fall - the conductor / director transposed everything from Bb to D* (if you have highland pipe sheet music, bump it down a tone and it should be fine) for the uilleann pipes, but it doesn't work the best because uilleann pipes are much quieter than highland pipes. The range was between G and g, so doable.
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

BigDavy wrote:Has your friend said in what key the singers are going to perform the song?
Sadly Not Yet. We will have meating soon.
NicoMoreno wrote:Is it a high school brass and reed band?
NO. Just vocal + violin + mybe piano or/and guitar???

Thanks !
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, the voice squad appear to be singing it in F# minor, which fits well enough on a whistle, so, though I don't play pipes, I would have thought it would be OK on pipes. I should think a more usual key to play it in would be a tone below where the Voice Squad are singing it, i.e. in E minor. (Or Aeolian, if you prefer to use your mode names.)
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Better (IMO) version:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDB87o-njFQ
dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

My favorite instrumental would have to be Padraig MacMathuna's in B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J97fJqcQxVA
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

chaos97 wrote:My favorite instrumental would have to be Padraig MacMathuna's in B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J97fJqcQxVA
Beautiful piping; a shame he only has the one record out (but it's a good one).
Last edited by An Draighean on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

chaos97 wrote:My favorite instrumental would have to be Padraig MacMathuna's in B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J97fJqcQxVA
I tried this when chaos97 first put up the link, and just now. It's one of those where it won't let me watch it because I'm in the UK. Grrr.