Seamus Meehan still piping?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Seamus Meehan still piping?

Post by Steampacket »

Saw an old "Pure Drop" video clip of Seamus Meehan piping. A fine piper indeed. I haven't heard of Seamus before. Then I found some sound files of his piping. Great stuff. He also plays the piano accordion. He looked young in the video from the '80's so he could be in his late 60's now. Anyone know where he's from? Is he related to Paul and Martin Meehan? It looked like he was playing a Froment B/Bb set in the video clip
Seanie

Re: Seamus Meehan still piping?

Post by Seanie »

Hi Steam

Seamus would be around 57 or 58 (he is a contemporary of Mick O'Brien). He lived next door to Matt Kiernan in Cabra in Dublin and his father Tom helped Matt with some pipemaking.

Seamus played a Ginsberg Bb set and also played the piano accordion playing mainly for dancers. He was taught the pipes by Andy Conroy and is one of the foremost exponents of that style of piping. His brother Fran also plays the pipes.

Cheers

John
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks John. I found out today, that as you wrote he lived next to Matt and that his brother Fran also plays the pipes. I see that Seamus was a member of the Templehouse Celidh Band too. I can hear the Andy Conroy influence in his playing. Great piping
chaos97
antispam: No

Post by chaos97 »

Could you link the video of his piping? I found 4 tracks of his playing a couple years ago & knowing nothing of him, they really struck me. I have them on my phone & give them a listen every now & then.

If anyone has more of his playing that would be great too!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The only video clip I've seen of Seamus piping is the one Ciaran Kelly put up on FB with Seamus playing on the Pure Drop show from 1993: https://www.facebook.com/ciarank1 He's playing a Ginsburg Bb set.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have some tapes of his playing, one tape recorded by (I believe) Alan Ginsberg during a visit to Matt Kiernan, Seamus walked in and played Alan's own set. I remember the Foxchase being among what he played. Also some duets from another occasion, with Mick O'Brien, each seeming to try to outdo the other with the crunchy bits. The memory of that last one is only very hazy though. It's been decades since I listened to those tapes.

He was on a comhaltas tour around 1985, a record would have been made of that, they usually do anyway. Also the NPU set dancing tapes, he may have been playing the piano box for that though.
My brain hurts

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Peter, I suspect that if you ever sat down and digitized your library of ad hoc recordings, you'd make the internet very happy indeed.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's enough on-line already to keep the internet entertained, Simon.

I did do a few tracks of one of the tapes just now.

4 reels_Seamus Meehan from around 1980, at the house of Matt Kiernan during a visit by Alan Ginsberg.

The tunes are: a version of Mullin's Fancy/Boys of Ballynahinch that Seamus Ennis called 'The Leitrim Lilt', the Doon in G, Copperplate, Reel of Rio

[Edit:] I have taken the file down again. With the option of putting up another if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Thanks for that Peter.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Well, make a point of passing your tapes on with your photos when you go. Both should be known some day as "The Peter Laban Collection".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Both should be known some day as "The Peter Laban Collection".
Don't know about that, but let's not go there right now. I was in the process of getting photos ready for ITMA but i got bogged down in the negative scanning, editing and indexing end of it, among other things. A similar job for the Clare library ended prematurely because the librarian I worked with retired and wasn't replaced so that ended there. But there's a good bunch, 1300 plus, there : 'Laban collection of trad mus pics'
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

At the very least, everything should end up in an archive, whether digital or not. In Canada, you can (or could) earn significant tax credits for donating historically significant material to an accredited museum or archive. Perhaps it's the same in Ireland.

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

He was on a comhaltas tour around 1985, a record would have been made of that, they usually do anyway.

I said that without checking the lps and Thomas the Steampacket just reminded me I sent him the details for the recordings some weeks ago for his piping discography. :oops:

The lp in question is Echoes of Erin (CCE CL-28) Seamus Meehan's piping is featuring on tracks A5 (jig : Maud Gonne) and B1 (Reels :The Trip to Durrow/Corney is coming)

The recording was for a 1984 Comhaltas tour of Canada and the US, also on the tour were John Joe Gannon, Mike Rafferty, Janet Hrbison, Marcus Hernon, Joe Burke, Bríd Harper and others.

My brain hurts

AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Mr.Gumby wrote: But there's a good bunch, 1300 plus, there : 'Laban collection of trad mus pics'
:boggle: There goes my evening.
svick

Post by svick »

Fantastic photos.