9th South Wales Tionol - Sept 7th/8th in Pontypridd

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

9th South Wales Tionol - Sept 7th/8th in Pontypridd

Post by RLines »

The South Wales Uilleann Pipers are pleased to announce our 2018 tionol!

Piping at the Old Bridge
The 9th South Wales Tionol
September 7th/8th 2018
Pontypridd

With Special Guests
Mikie Smyth (uilleann pipes)
Fionnán Mac Gabhann (uilleann pipes)
Mikey Kenney (fiddle)

Highlights include:

- Piping instruction (beginner and improver levels)
- Fiddle instruction (beginner and improver levels)
- Friday night Gala Concert
- Saturday afternoon piping recital/piper's chair
- Lunchtime music featuring 78rpm records of Patsy Touhey, Tom Ennis, Leo Rowsome, Liam Walsh and others played on antique wind-up gramophones
- Evening sessions in local pubs
- Raffle

The Tionol will be based in and around the Pontypridd Museum, a restored Baptist chapel dating from 1861. The chapel sits on the banks of River Taf at the foot of Pontypridd's 'Old Bridge' which, when first completed in 1756, was the longest single span bridge in Europe.

Mark the dates in your calendars. More information to follow soon. Also follow us on Facebook or Twitterfor updates.

By email contact rhonddapiper(at)gmail(dot)com

The Old Bridge

2016 Tionol

2017 Tionol
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: 9th South Wales Tionol - Sept 7th/8th in Pontypridd

Post by benhall.1 »

Wish I'd made it over to the 2017 one, but I was ill with a nasty, fluey cold at the time. I'll hope to keep healthy for this one. It's a fantastic gathering.
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Look forward to seeing you!
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

The tionol is getting closer, so we thought it a good time to suggest possible accomodations options for people attending.

1) Heritage Park Hotel, Pontypridd - The hotel is about a 5 minute drive/taxi ride from the museum where the tionol will be held. The hotel has agreed a discount for people attending the event. Just call the reservations desk at 01443 687057 (rather than go through the website) and mention that you are there for the Irish bagpipes festival and they will give you a reduced rate.

http://www.heritageparkhotel.co.uk/

2) Blueberry Inn, Pontypridd - The inn is a small boutique hotel in the centre of Pontypridd, walking distance from the museum where the tionol will be held.

http://www.blueberryinn-pontypridd.co.uk/

3) Premier Inn, Llantrisant - Discount hotel approximately 6 miles (20 minute drive) from Pontypridd.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels ... isant.html

There are also a small number of guest houses, B&Bs and AirBnB options within a couple of miles of Pontypridd which can be accessed via various online booking websites.

Please PM me if you have any questions.
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

A lovely weekend in South Wales.

Pipes at the Old Bridge in Pontypridd. Just a preview of the site of our tionol in September.

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

New poster! Mark the dates.

Concert on Friday night and classes on Saturday.

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

We are excited to confirm that the Friday night session (following the opening concert) will take place in the back room 'snug' at the historic Llanover Arms Pub.

Owned by the same family since 1899, and only a few minutes walk from the museum, The Llanover is a landmark in Pontypridd. One of the oldest buildings in the area, and easily the best pint of Guinness in town.

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

The last piece of our tionol weekend has now been confirmed!

We are pleased to announce that our closing night session on Saturday evening will be at Clwb Y Bont on Taff Street in Pontypridd, a few minutes walk from the Pontypridd Museum where the classes will be held all day Saturday. The session will start at 8pm.

Clwb Y Bont is a renovated old stone-built warehouse on the banks of the river Taff, and is a great venue for music.

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

The final programme for the tionol is now complete

My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Just over three weeks until the tionol!

We are pleased to announce that the most excellent Soul Spice vegan curry stall in Pontypridd Market will be catering Saturday lunch for all the pipers and fiddlers.

If people could confirm their attendance with us ahead of time that would be appreciated as it will help us organise the lunch.

Thanks
Rick
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

The tionol is next weekend. Join us in Pontypridd with our great guest pipers Mikie Smyth and Fionnán MacGabhann. Also fiddle classes with Mikey Kenney of the Liverpool Ceili Band.

PM me if any last minute questions.

Looking forward to welcoming you all to South Wales.
My YouTube
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Lovely session last night at the Llanover Arms. Nice pub. Lovely music, and lovely company. Was great to see Mikie Smyth again. He was on fine form.

Looking forward to tonight.

Have fun, all you people in the classes today! :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Just to say, thank you so much to Rick and, I presume, others for organising this event. It's a fantastic event for music in Wales. The people who were there were a lovely bunch, and the standard of tutor is absolutely top-notch. Brilliant stuff! Much appreciated. Well done to all.

:thumbsup: :)
RLines

Post by RLines »

Lovely session last night at the Llanover Arms. Nice pub. Lovely music, and lovely company. Was great to see Mikie Smyth again. He was on fine form.
Thanks for coming out Ben. Great to see you. Glad you enjoyed the sessions as well. Here is a little clip from the Llanover Arms session on Friday night.

More pics and videos to come.

Rick
My YouTube
RLines

Post by RLines »

Thanks to everyone who came out to Pontypridd this weekend for another fantastic South Wales Tionol. A jam packed weekend of concerts, classes and sessions.

A big thanks to Mikie Smyth and Fionnan Mac Gabhann for their great humour, enthusiasm and music (and for braving - and surviving - the mountain road!) And a huge thanks to NPU for once again supporting our event.

Here are a few photos of the weekend. See you next year!

My YouTube